Ahhh crap, forgot gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
As I was pitching the yeast I realized I forgot to take a reading.

Should I just let it ride or should I take a reading once the yeast diffuses through?

Yeah I pitched.

I also forgot to add 4g of gypsum and some yeast nutrient... idk where my head was today. I'm considering boiling up a cup of water to add some nutrient but I probably will just let it ride.

Yeah... I would let the lack of yeast nutrient slide... It won't make that big of a difference.

Lol... what a bad brewday. First boilover in 30 batches, forgot gypsum, forgot nutes, forgot to take a grav reading, clogged my autosiphon/knocked out that little dime sized piece that you need to get a siphon started, took too long zesting my citrus so I didn't have time to throw it in a muslin bag...

Oh well, there is beer at the end of this tunnel :mug:

I did pretty much the same thing with my current batch. It's a PM harpoon UFO heffeweizen clone; well I spilled some wheat extract, which quickly Carmalized to my stovetop, forgot the Irish moss, forgot to take OG, not sure what I pitched for yeast (either 1010 or 1272), and the only reason I realized I may have pitched the wrong yeast is because I washed it when I transferred to secondary and it dawned on me I never recorded it in the first place, so now I have 4qts of washed yeast that I am uncertain of the strain, then I forgot to check gravity at secondary, so I'm pretty much letting this one ride.
I'll sit it in secondary until the bubbles slow down enough, then just bottle it and hope for the best.
The SRM is waaay too high though... That wheat extract was too dark.

Oh well, I'll drink it and enjoy it. I have to find my reciept from the homebrew shop and see if i can detemine which yeast strain i used, but I have no idea where it went...

Back