Is my wort infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacQ32

Reaction score
So I brewed an all grain 60 minute clone on Sunday. When I removed my Ringwood Wyeast from the fridge to activate and swell the activator pack felt like it was likely partially frozen, the pack hardly swelled up if at all. I ensure everything was well sanitized and store the wort in the primary yeast less and made a starter. I pitched the yeast Monday night as the starter seemed to have come alive a little but I did not want my wort to sit too long either. I went to add yeast to the wort and saw that there was thick foam overflowing out of the primary before I even added yeast. (Which I did eventually) ~36 hours later there doesnt seem to be any discoloration but the wort itself smells pretty rank, gag worthy almost. I took a gravity reading and it doesnt look like the yeast is doing much but my hydrometer read .005 lower on the second reading.

I just tried a sample of the beer, and holding my breathe so as not to be incredibly turned off by the smell took a swig, doesn't taste bad which is not what I expected.

Foam escaping fermenter before yeast is added, does this make any sense at all?

Here is a picture

mail

Is it still too early to tell if the beer is ruined or not? It smells TERRIBLE grrrr

Back