San Diego Group Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyMusket

Reaction score
Just wondering if there was anybody in the San Diego area that is thinking about doing a group buy or wants to plan a group buy. Oh and i am referring to Malt.

Well we got two people so far. I read the group buy rules and from what i understand you would have to have some seniority in the forums to be able to put this together. but i can get some of the footwork done.

Well i just called "The Country Malt Group" out of Hayward Ca. and they said they can only sell to breweries and those with a license of some sort. I asked her if that was state law and she said no it is "their policy". I told her they were missing out on alot of business.
I guess ill try again somewhere else.

Damn, I've been waiting for a California-based group buy for ages now, but San Diego might be a bit far for me to wander. Still, I might consider it if you guys find someone willing to sell...

still looking for an outlet, but i think Country Malt Group pretty much has a monopoly out here. And their policy is to not sell to home brewers. Everyday I see another reason why i fricken hate commifornia!

I'm pretty sure all the malt companies don't sell to homebrewer's unless you have bought from them before.

I think I have also heard that NC Malt will only sell to previous customers now :(

I've asked the guys at Home Brew Mart about buying in bulk and the only thing they said I could buy in bulk would be Rahr 2-row.

I dont have a whole lot of free time on my hands right now but I'll see if I can do a little digging into a group buy. If I find anything I'll pass it on :mug:

If you guys get something going, I'll be down for 4 sacks..
Thanks
igotsand

Country Malt Group sucks man, I don't know why they won't help out home brewers. Especially when we are willing to go out of our way to organize a group buy and make it very easy on them. :mad:

They wouldn't even let me drive out to Hayward and pick up some of their malt. Can we just lie to them and tell them we are a licensed brewery? I bet they don't even check.

I PM'd somebody in this thread to say that I might be able to help. The guys in Tennessee have an account and I could probably order it under our account and have it delivered to you guys.

1234-

Is it going to be ok if we put an order together and have you place it for us?

Does NCM ship to Cali? I dont see the shipping per pallet for cali listed on that .pdf

Thanks again!

To everyone else looking at this thread-

If you or anyone else is interested in this group buy please start figuring out what you would like to order. A google search of North County Malt's 2011 price sheet should pull up their list.

Just keep in mind that the price you see will likely be a little higher once shipping and the fuel surcharge is added.

Also there is a $15 dollar hazmat fee for the order if anyone wants to get starsan or other cleaners. Only people who order chemicals will incur this price and it will be split amongst them.

I sent an e-mail off to NCM to ask if I could place the order and have it shipped to another to another state. I am willing to bet that they will allow it. We get our stuff out of North Carolina and we pay 96 for our shipping and fuel service charge. Usually works out to about 2.40 a sack.

Not sure on the official delivery location yet, as no one has stepped forward to officially take the reins on this one.

I'm not opposed to doing it myself as long as my schedule permits.
For the record I live in Rancho San Diego, about 20 mins east of downtown San Diego.

The lady said I couldn't place the order for you guys:mad: If we get a different person for the next buy I will ask her. We are starting a new one on Monday.

The lady said I couldn't place the order for you guys:mad: If we get a different person for the next buy I will ask her. We are starting a new one on Monday.

WEAK SAUCE!!!!

Thanks for the help though, I hope you get a better response in the future.

Hi, just wanted to say I would definitely be interested in a group buy in SD if someone is able to place the order. I'll watch this thread to see if we get to that point.

Cheers,

Matt

ok i got a guy i spoke with today who has a license he owns a store and he told me he would do a group buy but he wants us to pay for freight, obviously. he wants 15% extra of the malt cost not including tax and freight. he says he does this for other people in the area and he said i can get in on the next one or put one together for us. freight is about 90 dollars

ok i got a guy i spoke with today who has a license he owns a store and he told me he would do a group buy but he wants us to pay for freight, obviously. he wants 15% extra of the malt cost not including tax and freight. he says he does this for other people in the area and he said i can get in on the next one or put one together for us. freight is about 90 dollars

We are about half way through our current order, once it fills I will see who they assign us for the quote. Give me another 2 weeks and I will see what I can do for you guys.

1234 said:
We are about half way through our current order, once it fills I will see who they assign us for the quote. Give me another 2 weeks and I will see what I can do for you guys.

Thanks again for trying to help us out

I am interested in a group buy but I live in L.A.. San Diego might not be too far to drive but I'm pretty sure the savings in grain $$ would be made up in gas $$.

Has anyone thought of approaching a local microbrewery to see if they could order it for us?

havent heard from to many people lately about this group buy, but i will get off my lazy ass and get the detailed info from my source. thanks for being patient.

I would be interested in a group buy, im in Los Angeles. Also i could ask my friends at our local micro brewery if they would be willing to place an order for us. let me know, thanks.

I too am really interested. I reside in Oceanside however, I am currently deployed and won't be back until the first week in August. So keep me in mind for future buys!!!

I'd be very happy to go in on the group buy! I'm in San Diego.
Spring Valley, CA -- next to Rancho San Diego to be precise!

If there is a list please add me to it. I have a friend who is opening a brewery so he will have a license. I will speak with him and see if we can swing that.

Does anyone know if someone on Arizona has connections? That would be easier to get there as I have family in Phoenix and could pick it when o visit. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back