Hunahpu Day Meetup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, also, Cycle Brewing moved their operations to a separate location in downtown St. Pete about 6 months ago. They still sell their beers at Pegs, but they brew in St. Pete!

Pegs was hard to get into last year for us around Hunahpu day. We drove down on Friday and drove directly to Pegs. The line was around the block and we were starving, so we decided to go elsewhere for lunch. It's much easier to get in during the week not during Huna festivities.

I'm a tampa native making the pilgrimage across the country for my first hunaphu's day! I love how CCB has blown up over the past few years. I remember the first FBG beerfest they poured at...they have come a long way

I'm a tampa native making the pilgrimage across the country for my first hunaphu's day! I love how CCB has blown up over the past few years. I remember the first FBG beerfest they poured at...they have come a long way

You should've seen it last year. OMG what a zoo. 9k people crammed into their parking lot. I'm so glad tickets are limited to 3,500 this year. The event should be much more tolerable this go around.

RE- Bottle Sharing before 11 am: The word has come down from on high. There will be a lot of eyes on the line AND in the parking lot once you get in this year. CCB is only Wet Zoned between 11 am and 5 pm in the parking lot. DO NOT BOTTLE SHARE/DRINK ALCOHOL outside of those times and definitely not on the sidewalk this year.

By the very strong hints being levied by the staff, i'm assuming they will be cracking down with their own security and/or the po po will be patrolling the line and interior this year, looking to bust somebody. Nobody wants a ride in a squad car. Don't be that guy. Save your bottle sharing for 11 am. Consider this your notice. :)

You should've seen it last year. OMG what a zoo. 9k people crammed into their parking lot. I'm so glad tickets are limited to 3,500 this year. The event should be much more tolerable this go around.

Yea, my buddy said it was pretty crazy. He got our tickets early because he is an el catador club member. I can't wait...that beer list is intense

Beeradvocate has four separate threads for bottle shares Friday night. There's a CCB share in the back room (I hear it's ticketed and now closed), there's a share at the Airport Hilton, there's a share at the Courtyard Marriott and i'm trying to start up a share at the HoJo on Dale Mabry (low rent bottle share).

Myself and twenty or so of my closest friends from the Jax area are staying at the HoJo (we do every year) and we need to get plenty of beer in our veins to avoid being bitten by the bedbugs.

We will have:

CCB rares (DB BA Huna, LiL, etc.)
Hardywood rares (Gingerbread stout, etc.)
Firestone Walker Private Reserve beers
Dark Horizon
New Glarus stuff
Jolly Pumpkin stuff
Florida Cracker
etc.:rockin:

Well, I put out a feeler on BeerAdvocate about a bottle share at the HoJo for Friday night. I know people will be trying to get into Peg's Cantina and 7th Sun that day but if it's like last year, the long long lines might dissuade you. It's cool, people coming in from far and wide want a chance to check out some Cycle brewing and other good stuff going down at Pegs, but eventually people will start drifting back to their hotels.

If you're staying in a hotel on Friday/Saturday night, i'd check with Ratebeer and Beeradvocate in their forums and see what people are doing. Just from our Jacksonville area bottle share group, we're looking at around 20 of us staying at the HoJo. So far, i've gotten about five or six different people travelling in from outside our group saying they're also interested in bottle sharing Friday night.

So if you're staying at the HoJo on Dale Mabry and want to bottle share with us on Friday night, go for it. So far, it's an open bottle share gathering around the cement pond behind the Thai restaurant.

Niiiiiice. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393534557.206950.jpg

Think I'll be coming down on Saturday morning and staying the night. Take cab to/from hotel. Maybe swing by dale mabry afterwards :-D

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No kidding? I met a guy looked like the guy from that custom motorcycle building show with the big white beard and mustache. Supposedly he used to/still owned or had interest in many of these establishments in Tampa. Met him a few years ago at the 500, actually Thursday before... I was never able to foster the acquaintance into anything more.. I didn't realize there was a connection..

Is the a plan to meet and greet any forum members?? When it was said there will be a crack down on bottle sharing... Will we be able to bring homebrew to the event or not? I understand that the hours are strict. Plus with all the other beer, not sure how desirable homebrew will be.

TD

If this new law that was introduced Monday passes the "tasting room" of every brewery in the state may become a thing of the past

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Secti...ocumentType=Bill&BillNumber=1329&Session=2014

What this law states is that if a brewery is licensed by July 1st of this year they may have a tasting room as long as they make no changes, including expanding. Any change requiring new licensing and the "tasting room" must close. According to someone in the Representatives office it is make sure small breweries are competing fairly with the larger distributors:mad:

I think that it would probably affect Hunahpu day if there was no Tap room

Florida lawmakers have certainly recognized the role local breweries and beer tourism plays in the local economies of it's larger cities, and have a pretty good track record over the last year of trending towards making it EASIER to open breweries, bottle shops, and tasting rooms and maintain profitability. With the recent track record, I can't imagine that a law prohibiting tasting rooms would gain any traction. It would be the death nell of the recent expansion that is benefiting so many of Florida's major cities. Tasting rooms are what make microbreweries (especially) profitable and possible.

EDIT:

I just read that bill, and I don't see anywhere that this bill prohibits tasting rooms. This is the same bill everyone has been talking about for months. It is a great compromise between distributors and manufacturers that would open up the sale of all growlers (what the manufacturers want) in exchange for NOT allowing direct sales (i.e., bypassing the distributor) of any beers except those actually produced on the premises, i.e., NO GUEST TAPS unless they went through the distributor first (what the distributors want).

Did you read the whole thing? Can you point out to me where this says that it will do away with taprooms? I think you may be mistaken. I'm pretty sure this is what we all want!

Any homebrewer coming from out of town will want to know that there will be at least five homebrew clubs each pouring about ten kegs at this event. Our club, Brandon Bootleggers, will probably have 13 or more. There will be PLENTY of opportunity to sample local homebrews. Come say hello.

No kidding? I met a guy looked like the guy from that custom motorcycle building show with the big white beard and mustache. Supposedly he used to/still owned or had interest in many of these establishments in Tampa. Met him a few years ago at the 500, actually Thursday before... I was never able to foster the acquaintance into anything more.. I didn't realize there was a connection..

Is the a plan to meet and greet any forum members?? When it was said there will be a crack down on bottle sharing... Will we be able to bring homebrew to the event or not? I understand that the hours are strict. Plus with all the other beer, not sure how desirable homebrew will be.

TD

I'm not sure of a meet and greet, some have talked about Peg's Friday night and epic bottle shares at hotels.
The crackdown on bottle shares is in reference to the 11-5 wet permit.

Back