• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB cheapish Wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
Looking for a nicely priced wort chiller. Did my first batch without one but it'd probably be a lot easier to use one of these and I won't have to waste my money buying ice. Anyone selling one?

I highly recommend making a simple, copper immersion chiller. I watched a couple of youtube videos until i was comfortable and did it. I just used the lowes 25' copper coil and formed it around a can (I used a scuba tank) and used a small, hand held bender to form the in and out lengths. I also got fancy and put some hose connectors so i could break it down for storing but that is totally optional. It works great and i love the fact I made it myself. Total cost was somewhere around the $25 - $35 range.

I would say I could sell you my 20 ft one for 15 dollars, but that would be about the same in shipping.

I'm looking to sell my Counterflow Chiller, but by the time I got $25 and added shipping you could make an IC yourself.

I got a new HUGE plate chiller for a song. Just have to rig up the fittings and clean it up a bit.

I have one. I am upgrading to a plate chiller. I'm in south jersey. PM me if interested for $20.

Easily_Distracted said:
I highly recommend making a simple, copper immersion chiller. I watched a couple of youtube videos until i was comfortable and did it. I just used the lowes 25' copper coil and formed it around a can (I used a scuba tank) and used a small, hand held bender to form the in and out lengths. I also got fancy and put some hose connectors so i could break it down for storing but that is totally optional. It works great and i love the fact I made it myself. Total cost was somewhere around the $25 - $35 range.

I was at (b)Lowes yesterday and priced a 25 ft roll of 1/2 inch copper and it $53 and change. I am thinking it wouldn't be much more to just buy one off of the on line home brew supply stores.

I used smaller than 1/2". Maybe 3/8“? You actually don't need a large amount of flow through the chiller. I usually dial the flow back until I start to feel the water come out a little warm. That way I know I am pulling off heat but not just wasting water. I'll adjust the output as the wert cools.
I would imagine 3/8 would be cheaper but $53 sounds expensive.

I built my own immersion out of 3/8" copper and it works great. Whole thing cost $30. The two most expensive parts where the copper tubing and the fitting for my faucet. But I'm the type of guy who would much rather build something than buy it.

LHBS sells immersion chillers for $60 but I believe those are 1/2".

Thanks for the heads up, I am going to be out and about today. I am going to see if I can round up what I need to make a chiller.
CHEERS!

Well ,I just got back from Homo Depo and picked everything needed to get my chiller going.

3/8 X 20 roll soft copper tubing. $20.71
Watts compression fitting 3/8 X1/2 , two @ $4.46 LFA-124
Watts hose adapter A-668 $3.24
Watts. Swivel hose adapter A-660 FREE
With tax total is $34.85
The last piece was free due to three of the four self check outs went down today,and the manager come over and checked me out and could not get it to scan, and could not get it to take the code,and she became frustrated,and just threw it in the bag,and said "my call". I think I'll use a corney keg to form the chiller.

I got everything I needed on Friday to get my hop spider together, next on the list is a grain mill!

PS: any recommendations on a mill?

philly224 said:
Looking for a nicely priced wort chiller. Did my first batch without one but it'd probably be a lot easier to use one of these and I won't have to waste my money buying ice. Anyone selling one?

My friend and I made one like some of the others did. Then to speed up the process, I hooked it up to my bilge pump for my boat and submerged it in a cooler full of ice water so I don't have to keep the water running since it just replaces itself. To save money on ice (since it melts fast) I freeze large chunks in Tupperware and keep them in my deep freeze until I brew. It cut the chilling time back about 30-45 minutes from when we used the hose. Plus I used less water and the yard wasn't muddy.

Back