A new recipe I brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccoulombe

Reaction score
So my third batch of beer was an IPA and came out fantastic! I just brewed a new batch today and am already having second doubts of its integrity. In the recipe it was shooting for a SG of 1.058 and I got 1.090. The reading was also done when cooled in the pot at 68 f and only around 4 gallons. I added about a gallon and a half to make the 5 gallon mark and I'm sure that will change the Hydro reading but I never took one and pitched the yeast.
The recipe is as follows....

6 pounds of muntons Amber DME
3 pounds of Amber malt (milled grain) steeped for 30 min
Nugget hop pellets 1 ounce (60min)
Columbus Hop pellets 1 ounce(5min)
For yeast I used Wyeast No. 1007

It seemed to come out dark but I think its because I squeezed that grain sack a bit too much.
Cheers,
Chris

From the math I learned a long time ago, your new "SG" should be around 1.063.

What temperature did you "steep" your Amber Malt at?

From the math I learned a long time ago, your new "SG" should be around 1.063.

What temperature did you "steep" your Amber Malt at?

Hello! Thanks for the quick reply! I steeped the grain at 66 C or 150 F right on the mark for 30 min. Thanks for the Calculation for SG, how did you come up with that? I did actually change the recipe a little bit because my LHBS didn't have certain hops but I decided to use a different DME and grain. I guess what we had substituted was very close.
Thank you,
Chris

You had 1.5 volumes of 1.000 SG water, and (assuming you have 5 gallons of wort) 3.5 volumes of 1.090. The math is:

total SG = (volume 1 * SG + volume 2 * SG) / total volume.

in your case, it's
(1.5 * 1.000 + 3.5 * 1.090) / 5

that gives you 1.063 or so.

Believe it or not, asphalt does not come with one specific gravity :)

You had 1.5 volumes of 1.000 SG water, and (assuming you have 5 gallons of wort) 3.5 volumes of 1.090. The math is:

total SG = (volume 1 * SG + volume 2 * SG) / total volume.

in your case, it's
(1.5 * 1.000 + 3.5 * 1.090) / 5

that gives you 1.063 or so.

Believe it or not, asphalt does not come with one specific gravity :)

Thank you. Any comments on the recipe or perhaps how its going to turn out? I know the ultimate test is the taste test. I think I'm noticing a trend that I don't like the beers I have brewed with liquid malt extract and no grains steeped vs. using powder and grains. Or is it just the grains? I feel like it gives the beer much more body. Still learning but I thinking I'm getting it!
Cheers,

Chris

Latest posts

Back