Full 5 gallon boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apparatus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Alaksn Amber extract kit from Austin Homebrew. I would like to do this as a full boil instead of just the 2 1/2 gals. Can anyone tell me what to do?
The recipe is as follows.
1/2 lb. Crystal 60L
1/2 lb. Crystal 90L
7 1/2 lb. Pale Extract
3/4 oz. Cascade
1/4 oz. Saaz
White Labs German Ale #00010

The recipe uses 2 1/2 gals. of water for steeping grain at 155 F and turn off heat.
Soak grains for 45 Min.
Return heat and bring to boil.
Turn off heat and add extract until dissolved.
Return to boil and add 3/4 oz. cascade hops for 60min.
Add 1/4 oz Sazz for last 15 min.

Cool wort to 80F
Pour mixture into fermentor add cool water to bring to 5 1/4 gallons.
Pitch Yeast.

Original specific Gravity: 1.054
Final Specific Gravity: 1.015

Thanks,

I have not done full boils yet. Have never had a wort chiller before now :) That being said, do you have a chiller to cool all that wort down? I have read over and over that the ice water in the sink method don't work with 5 galons. I can't imagine that you would need to do much more then add the water in the brewpot. If your boiling for 60 minutes I believe you should start with about 6 gals. Someone can confirm this quantity though.

Edit....
The recipe looks good.... not too sure you need both crystals though.

Before you do it lets wait for someone to reply about the hops... I seem to recall someone doing a full boil and finding out that they needed to reduce the hops. In the meantime I'll do a search.... it was rather recent....

After adding the extract, add more water and heat to a boil. You should cut the cascades to 1/2 oz, but don't change the sazz. Sazz is a low AA hop, so at 15 minutes there won't be any noticable change in the bittering it would add.

Thanks, to both of you for the help. I am botttling a batch today and will brew tomorrow.
Hey David, I am right down the road from you in Salem.
Cheers

No, I am not in any club. I am very new to this with only three batches under my belt. Will brew my fourth tomorrow. I have been thinking recently about inquiring about local clubs. I am sure it would be beneficial.
Are you a member?

Back