Breweries in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMcManaway

Reaction score
I'm heading up to Chicago this weekend to chat with some professors about grad school. I figure there have got to be plenty of great microbreweries, so I wanted to get any suggestions I could from you guys and gals on beer I should have while there.

FLOSSMOOR STATION RESTAURANT & BREWERY
1035 Sterling Ave
Flossmoor, IL 60422
(708) 957-2739

Yeah...

Piece - its thin crust pizza, not chicago style, but still very good. Really nice brews there.
Piece Brewery & Pizzeria | Dine In or Carry Out :: Chicago

Goose Island
Clybourn Brewery & Pub
Goose Island

Wrigleyville
Goose Island

Floosmoor Station
Flossmoor Station Restaurant and Brewery
Flossmoor Beer Blog

Two Brothers Brewery & Pub (in Naperville - a Chicago suburb)
Home

Bars:
The Map Room - a must for any beer drinker visiting Chicago
The Map Room - A Traveller's Tavern in Chicago

The Hopleaf - great food, great selection of beers on tap.
Hopleaf Bar

Kuma's Corner - best burgers in Chicago, good selection of craft brews. You need to appreciate Heavy Metal when you go here though. Gets CROWDED on the weekends at night.
Kuma's Corner Home

This threads a bit old for the original poster but I thought I'd throw Ram Brewery in for future reference.They have three locations around town. Their Big Horn Hefeweizen is one of my faves.

This threads a bit old for the original poster but I thought I'd throw Ram Brewery in for future reference.They have three locations around town. Their Big Horn Hefeweizen is one of my faves.

Part of Big Horn Brewing Company. There is a local restaurant chain around here called Humperdinks that has Big Horn's in them. It's like Chili's or TGI Friday's with a brewery inside. I really like the Total Disorder Porter.

Actually, I just looked at the Humperdinks site, and it appears as though their affiliation with Ram International is no more. ALL of their beers have changed, and I was there just 2 weeks ago. I know I'm not making things up, because the beers are in my rating list on RateBeer, but now they are listed under Big Horn Brewing (Ram International), instead of Humperdinks like they used to be.

They aren't in Chicago, but Three Floyds is just a few minutes into Indiana from Chicago. They make some weird and exciting beers

Munster, IN
Three Floyds

I seriously need to make the trip to Three Floyds. I live in the city, but a trip when the weather gets nice is now a must.

Clark St. in Wrigleyville is definitely a good place to start if someone were visiting Chicago and looking for some good Beer. There's a Goose Island, HB and countless other random bars that all carry at least one or two good specialty beers. Plus, right down the street there's Sheffields, which has Great Lakes on tap (I'm a native Clevelander) and Duke of Perth is right down the street from there.

Not a bad area to be in come to think of it...

P.S. Are there any really good, authentic (at least partially) German Breweries/Eateries in the Northern Chicago area? I'm really looking for a place to go when the weather gets nice and sit outside, eat some schnitzel and have a Weiss Bier (or Pils) or 5.

P.S. Are there any really good, authentic (at least partially) German Breweries/Eateries in the Northern Chicago area? I'm really looking for a place to go when the weather gets nice and sit outside, eat some schnitzel and have a Weiss Bier (or Pils) or 5.

The Chicago Brauhaus in Lincoln Square. It's loads of fun and, though I've never been to Germany, I'm told it's pretty authentic.

Chicago Brauhaus - Lincoln Square - Chicago USA

Resi's Bierstube is another good spot.I haven't been there in several years as I live south now but they have a great selection of beers and a small beer garden.Maybe it's time I made a trip up north once the weather breaks.

Resi's Bierstube

I still have to make it to Three Floyds and it's not that far from where I live. I have friends who have been there and said it's well worth the trip. This last summer a group of us went to Kalamazoo to Bells. They got a really nice beer garden with live music on the weekends and a very good selection on tap. The trip before this their winter ale was outstanding on tap. Much better than anything I've had bottled since.

I love the Bierstube. It's a block from my wife's cousin's place and has great beer specials and authentic schnitzel. YUM!

I like Goose Island, not the one on Clark but the the one off Clybourne.
I've never been to Three Floyds but have head their beer on tap at other places, definitely give them a try. I really like their GumballHead.

Some of the other places are bars, not breweries, although with excellent selections. The Map Room and Hopleaf are a good start.

If you're out in the suburbs at all you can knock off several in one day. Emett's Ale House in Downer's Grove, Taylor Brewing in Lombard, Rock Bottom also in Lombard, Lunar Brewing in Villa Park, and Two Brothers in Warrenville. They're all a pretty short ride from each other. In fact Rock Bottom is just across a mall parking lot from Taylor Brewing.

Resi's Bierstube is another good spot.I haven't been there in several years as I live south now but they have a great selection of beers and a small beer garden.Maybe it's time I made a trip up north once the weather breaks.

Resi's Bierstube

The Chicago Brauhaus in Lincoln Square. It's loads of fun and, though I've never been to Germany, I'm told it's pretty authentic.

Chicago Brauhaus - Lincoln Square - Chicago USA

Thanks, I've driven past the Brauhaus before, I definitely have to go there once this below zero weather subsides...

:mug:

If you're out in the suburbs at all you can knock off several in one day. Emett's Ale House in Downer's Grove, Taylor Brewing in Lombard, Rock Bottom also in Lombard, Lunar Brewing in Villa Park, and Two Brothers in Warrenville. They're all a pretty short ride from each other. In fact Rock Bottom is just across a mall parking lot from Taylor Brewing.

This sounds like a good road trip. Several places all in close proximity.

Latest posts

Back