Millennium Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks; This is what I have read.

“The Millennium hop variety was developed for the purpose of improv¬ing brewing values and agronomic characteristics of existing high-alpha-acids varieties grown in the Pacific Northwest United States. Millennium origi¬nated from a cross made in 1989 on a tetraploid Nugget hop variety and was released to the hop-growing industry as a high-alpha-triploid variety in 2000. When compared with Nugget, Millennium has a higher percentage of alpha-acids in the cone and a higher cone production per acre. Compared with the Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus varieties, Millennium has better storage stability, a lesser propensity for self heating (combustion), and better powdery mildew and downy mildew disease resistance. Pilot-brew¬ing trials and sensory evaluations demonstrated that Millennium hopped beers were normal in all aspects and the hop aroma was similar with that of Nugget. Commercial breweries have qualified Millennium as an ap¬proved variety in the brewing of a broad range of beers. Millennium is an excellent, cost-effective replacement for the hop variety Nugget and pro¬vides an alternative to the hop varieties collectively known as Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus. Millennium is grown in the states of Wash¬ington and Oregon.”

Does anyone have any first hand experience w/ them? I am always wary of things that are improved for storage, yield and disease resistance. Thanks Charlie

Does anyone have any first hand experience w/ them?
Not me. Do you have a source?

I am always wary of things that are improved for storage, yield and disease resistance.
Isn't this true of most hop varieties? I think a lot of them are crosses of other varieties, meant to improve on one or more of these dimensions.

Not me. Do you have a source?

Isn't this true of most hop varieties? I think a lot of them are crosses of other varieties, meant to improve on one or more of these dimensions.

Yeah I think I have a source. Pretty cheap too. I think $22/lb leaf @~14.5-16 AA plus shipping. If anyone is interested I find his email info this evening.

As far as improvements on agriculture commodities the recent improvements to fruit and veggies is seldom about flavor and aroma. Look at todays strawberries: huge, long shelf life, good shipper but poor flavor. Taste some of the old varieties and you'll be stunned how good strawberries taste. Charlie

here's the scoop. 22/lb organic leaf hops, shipping is $9.00/ 1st lb, $2.00/ea lb after. So if you buy 2lbs, cost is $55. That's seems about as good as it gets(these days anyway).

Anyone in Maryland/Baltimore area interested? If 2(or more) brewers split the shipping then price per oz is 1.70/Z. He is on Brewboard, name is: ron1guz

PM me if you want to split an order. Charlie

I got some pellets for $0.33 per oz last week 4#s of them infact.. plan on doing a Millennium IPA or Pale next weekend if i can do it sunday after Christmas..

How did this come out for you? Considering an all-millennium black IPA.

Back