Cider Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-U-K-E

Reaction score
So, this may be in the massive thread, but i had enough with searching for it.
As i gather one can use champagne yeast, ale yeast, and wine yeast, or (whodathunk) Cider yeast! i have heard of a lot of experimentation with these different yeast, but am still a bit confused...

which yeast makes the best dry, crisp, appley (if thats a word), cider?

weeee,
Duke 1...UNC 0!

Personally, I like champagne yeast, Lalvin. It will produce a dry, slighlty fruity, cider. The dryness will give it that crisp, refreshing, quality you are looking for. It's also important to carbonate the cider quite high, this will make it dry and refreshing.

Dry, crisp, appley...look no further than White Labs English Cider Yeast. I've got a cider made with it in bottle now that is as dry, crisp and appley as it gets. Like biting into a granny smith fresh off the tree.

D-U-K-E said:
how does ale yeast fare?

I am in the midst of a three yeast experiment. So far, the Ale yeast (56? can't recall atm) finished out first...1.001. Then the Wine yeast (Red Star Cuvee iirc) finished out....1.001. I am hopefully going to bottle the natural yeast this weekend, gotta check to see if it's settled out. I think it was 1.001 as well, gotta check my notes.

Flavor testing will commence in a month or so, hopefully.

I've got a gallon going now with WB-06 (wheat beer) dry yeast... i'll let you know in a month. Its finished fermenting, but I'll need to rack this to secondary, crash cool, and possibly a tertiary and crash cool again to get the yeast out of suspension. If it tastes good I think that would end up being the reason to not use wheat beet yeast. Not flocculant.

D-U-K-E said:
how does ale yeast fare?

I'd say it depends on the Ale yeast.... Personally I prefer the Belgian strains. Lots of interesting flavors come out of them.

Back