Star San stain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
I used to fill my stainless kithen sink with star-san solution during brew day. I now have a sink in the garage, which is much better.

The problem... the drain body is now discolored to a dull mettallic matte look. My SWMBO is not too happy as we just finished a kitchen remodel.

Star-san is an acid, so I am pretty sure this caused it. I am thinking of trying baking soda to try to restore the finish. Any help out there?

star-san is safe for use on SS. I've not seen any discoloration in my kitchen sink, drain, or my corny kegs.

*shrugs*

If it's diluted to the right level then it should not be corrosive to stainless steel. At least not for that short of a contact time. My guess it's something else that did it. Or you are using to much and not enough water so the PH is wrong. In that case it's not a very good sanitizer and you need to mix it right.

I had my bottle of Star San out on the counter and the 6 year old came up and squoze it. Now there is a little ring on the counter that looks like it was burned in and won't wash off. So it clearly has corrosive properties though everything that I have had that was in brief contact with it has been fine.

Fish said:
I had my bottle of Star San out on the counter and the 6 year old came up and squoze it. Now there is a little ring on the counter that looks like it was burned in and won't wash off. So it clearly has corrosive properties though everything that I have had that was in brief contact with it has been fine.
Right that's why you mix it with a set amount of water. Right out of the bottle that stuff is nasty.

Yeah, I was a little sloppy. I probably did 3-4 gal per oz. just to be sure. Also, my drain body is probably a low level SS as there is no discoloring with my SS sink.

Guess I'll get tighter on the measuring.

I also use a spray bottle with distilled water. I thought I read here this should be a stronger solution of star-san to water, right? Or should it be mixed the same ratio (1 oz/5 gal)?

gonzo brewer said:
Yeah, I was a little sloppy. I probably did 3-4 gal per oz. just to be sure. Also, my drain body is probably a low level SS as there is no discoloring with my SS sink.

Guess I'll get tighter on the measuring.

I also use a spray bottle with distilled water. I thought I read here this should be a stronger solution of star-san to water, right? Or should it be mixed the same ratio (1 oz/5 gal)?
It's the same.

yep, same ratio. yes, star-san is corrosive, its an ACID sanitizer. pH of 4.1 when mixed to solution...so I can only imagine what the undiluted pH might be.

Fish said:

Heh......."squoze" :D

Fish said:

Whoah man, keep the little ones away from the Star-san! God forbid instead of the counter it squirted in his eye or something. :confused: I'm sure that would do some damage, no? :confused:

I don't let my little nephew anywhere near the Star-san bottle - heck, or even the solution. Maybe I'm overreacting, but better safe than sorry!

As for OP and his sink, no clue... Sounds like you had it mixed a little strong + cheap stainless = stained. At least it was 'cheap' stainless though; you can get another one. "SWMBO is not thrilled..." Haha... :)

All acids are harmful to the eye, with the one notable exception of boric acid. Star San is mostly phosphoric acid.

I bought some Star San in Portland because it's cheaper than where I live. The airport confiscated it out of my checked luggage because it was deemed corrosive and hazardous. What a waste!

I bought some Star San in Portland because it's cheaper than where I live. The airport confiscated it out of my checked luggage because it was deemed corrosive and hazardous. What a waste!

Almost as wasteful as posting in a 3 year old thread.;)

_

Back