Pitching bottle dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerSoonerBrewer

Reaction score
Do you have to make a starter or could you, say, add the dregs of two bottles of Orval to a 5-gallon batch of beer that you're pitching US 05 into?

Do you have to make a starter or could you, say, add the dregs of two bottles of Orval to a 5-gallon batch of beer that you're pitching US 05 into?

Make a starter and be sure to step it up to a recommended pitch rate for the beer style. See here for details.

I see, well then I reckon the dregs will have to wait. I thought I might be able to get away with pitching them along side the yeast I've got.

I am not completely certain, but Orval might use a completely different yeast strain for bottle conditioning than they do for fermentation of their beer. This is not an uncommon practice with Belgian beers, particularly Trappist beers.

Honestly, I have no idea what you would hope to accomplish by just chucking in yeast from the dregs of a bottle and mixing that with some other yeast you have on hand.

I am not completely certain, but Orval might use a completely different yeast strain for bottle conditioning than they do for fermentation of their beer. This is not an uncommon practice with Belgian beers, particularly Trappist beers.

Honestly, I have no idea what you would hope to accomplish by just chucking in yeast from the dregs of a bottle and mixing that with some other yeast you have on hand.

Meh I don't honestly know either. It just seemed like something that might enhance my brew.

Brett is added to Orval before bottling - apparently one or two bottles is enough for some brett funkiness to appear after a few months. Even more so after a year. Check out the Drnk Owl Mango recipe in the Sour beer recipe section for info on this. I say go for it - it could add excellent complexity that develops over time (much like orval does.) I have recently added some to a one gallon batch I am doing. If it turns out well I'll do a bigger batch.

Just add the dregs of a couple of bottles to your batch.

You don't want make a starter, you want to stress the brett yeast to develop it's characteristic flavors.

It will take a long time to develop, months before it becomes noticeable, and will continue developing for up to 18 months.

Just add the dregs of a couple of bottles to your batch.

You don't want make a starter, you want to stress the brett yeast to develop it's characteristic flavors.

It will take a long time to develop, months before it becomes noticeable, and will continue developing for up to 18 months.

^this.

Normally, when harvesting, you'd want to make a small, low grav starter and slowly step it up to brewing size. But here you're looking for the bugs in Orval to augment your brewing yeast, I assume. Calder has it right, add the dregs from a couple bottles, and plan to let the wild yeast in them work for a long time to contribute their characteristic flavors.

Back