smack pack yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublimebrew

Reaction score
Do i need to make a starter for a smack pack yeast, or can I smack it, let it swell for a day or two, then brew and pitch. it is my first time with the packs. thanks & brew on...

i would advise always making a starter, but no...you don't have to. if your beer is under 1.050 OG than you should be good to go letting it swell a day or even less. Still, you SHOULD always make a starter IMO ;)

If you're going to make a starter, then don't waste the money on the upgrade to a smack pack. The whole idea with the smack pack is just smacking and pitching.

mountainrev said:
If you're going to make a starter, then don't waste the money on the upgrade to a smack pack. The whole idea with the smack pack is just smacking and pitching.

I disagree.

The idea behind a smack pack, in reality, is to find out prior to pitching whether the yeast is viable or not. Wyeast may claim that you can pitch it directly, but with that tiny amount of wort & yeast nutrient in the smackpack, you're not getting anywhere near the cell count you need.

Check out Mr. Malty's pitching calculator.

Plus, alot of places only carry the smack packs, and not the propegators. In fact, just now, I checked a couple places, and neither had anything but the 125ml XL's.

...and I speak from experience here. Before I started the practice of always making huge 2L starters, I had several smack packs swell, then dump a freakin HUGE lag time in my lap. One even took 3 days to start. So, like I said, Wyeast may claim you can pitch it directly, but my experience is that you're asking for long lag times if you go that route.

With good aeration I have had smack packs on 1.050 brews and lower take off withen 8 hours. I would not worry, although I tend to brew to batches now, about a week apart and use my yeast cake for the second brew. But thats just me, I dont like taking the extra chance of contamination by making a starter. No matter what though, your end result will be beer. Good luck

I dunno, I've had great luck with the smack packs. Although I am making my first starter tonight for tomorrow night, so we'll see.

Do you really need to sanitize the outside of the smack pack when you rip it open?

First isn't both the Propagator and XL packs, smack packs?
Popping the pack on an XL Wyeast package the night before should be sufficient but making a 1-2 liter starter a day earlier will ensure plenty of yeast cells. If you are going to do a starter a Propagator package is large enough and will save you some money.
mrmalty.com is a great site for references on yeast but you can make great beer with much less yeast than is recommended on that site.

Craig

98EXL said:
I dunno, I've had great luck with the smack packs. Although I am making my first starter tonight for tomorrow night, so we'll see.

Do you really need to sanitize the outside of the smack pack when you rip it open?
Yes I would sanitize and clean what ever you cut it with also

I guess that makes sense, still seems a bit overboard to me, but I'll give it a try this weekend

CBBaron said:
First isn't both the Propagator and XL packs, smack packs?
Popping the pack on an XL Wyeast package the night before should be sufficient but making a 1-2 liter starter a day earlier will ensure plenty of yeast cells. If you are going to do a starter a Propagator package is large enough and will save you some money.
mrmalty.com is a great site for references on yeast but you can make great beer with much less yeast than is recommended on that site.

Craig

I don't think the propegators are smack packs, but maybe I'm wrong, as I've never used them. Honestly, how much are you saving? A couple bucks at most. Not only that, but you have to hunt down a retailer that sells the propegators. I just don't see the point.

As for Mr. Malty, well, yeah, it's a little overboard, but regardless, I like to play it safe and make a big starter regardless of what I'm pitching (except dry). Whatever you feel comfortable with. I used to be in the "Wyeast says you can pitch it directly!" camp, but a few folks around here scolded me on it...and when I had that 72 hour lag time on my dubbel, I came back here with my tail between my legs, a true convert. :D

I have seen the Wyeast Propagator smack packs and they clearly state to make a starter with them since the cell count is low. The Activator packs claim you can smack and go. I have smacked the activator, letting it swell for a couple of hours, and then pitched and had no problem with it starting right up within a day.

There are a number of factors to consider for why a smack packs take longer than say someone else's. Like how much did it swell, how long did you elt it sit after smacking, fermentation temp, age of smack pack, etc...

Oh yeah, the price difference between the Propagator and Activator is like a $1 - $2. Why bother?

Evan! said:
, but a few folks around here scolded me on it...and when I had that 72 hour lag time on my dubbel, I came back here with my tail between my legs, a true convert. :D

just out of curiosity, what was the OG of your dubbel?

A HBS I get stuff from when I'm in Vancouver is only bringing in the propogators at the moment. Don't know why. I ended up buying a couple.

They are definately smack packs and you have to make a starter. I happened to be in the store when the latest shipment arrived. It was packaged and shipped the day before. In fact yeast was "made" the same day it shipped. With yeast that fresh he said you can forgo the starter on a 5g batch.

I do 10g, so starter time for me.

Yeast Infection said:
just out of curiosity, what was the OG of you dubbel?

I'm interested to know this as well. I've used smack packs the last 5 out 6 brews and my highest OG so far has been 1.068 and all of mine have taken off in 8 hours or less.

Back