Lager Schedule/Temp Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake_up

Reaction score
I bought a pilsener kit not realizing what kind of beast a lager is. Long story short: My brewing setup is in my apartment bedroom(read: temperature woes). I have been working on some work-arounds. My question is will I ruin the beer if I follow this schedule:

Primary: 2 weeks @ 57F
Secondary: 3 weeks @ 65F (mostly to get it off the trub while it sits)
Prime, Pitch more yeast and Bottle
Bottle Age: 4 weeks @ 39F or 61F (I could do either)

I know that it will be done fermenting before I even put it into the secondary, but due to travel schedule issues, this is the best I can come up with. So will that 3 weeks of just sitting around at 65F ruin it? I thought siphoning it to a carboy to get it off the trub while it sits around might help. Any thoughts on this will help. What happens if I ferment at 57F but lager at room temp instead of cold?

Thanks

I bought a pilsener kit not realizing what kind of beast a lager is. Long story short: My brewing setup is in my apartment bedroom(read: temperature woes). I have been working on some work-arounds. My question is will I ruin the beer if I follow this schedule:

Primary: 2 weeks @ 57F
Secondary: 3 weeks @ 65F (mostly to get it off the trub while it sits)
Prime, Pitch more yeast and Bottle
Bottle Age: 4 weeks @ 39F or 61F (I could do either)

I know that it will be done fermenting before I even put it into the secondary, but due to travel schedule issues, this is the best I can come up with. So will that 3 weeks of just sitting around at 65F ruin it? I thought siphoning it to a carboy to get it off the trub while it sits around might help. Any thoughts on this will help. What happens if I ferment at 57F but lager at room temp instead of cold?

Thanks
Keep it as low as you can. It won't taste just like pilsner, but it will be beer.:)

Good to hear! There is nothing scarier than ruining 5 gallons of the good stuff.

Back