Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easiest way I found is to mix up all the sugar and water add nutrient and energizer then add the yeast. When it starts rolling add all three lemon juice's and forget it. It is just so easy this way.

:eek: LOL! Ok, making a starter for skeeter pee is just as easy as I previously posted.

First, make up the skeeter pee must per the directions - invert sugar and lemon juice, yeast energizer and, etc. Then make the starter, half-gallon of white grape juice, pack of EC1118 in a container with some head-room. Loosely cover the container and swirl/shake when you walk by.

While the starter is growing, aerate the must when you think about it.

After a day ~ day and a half the starter will be going like crazy. Pitch it into the must, and within 24 ~ 36 hours you should see the magic happening!

Thanks now I'm getting someplace. Just got my stir bar in the mail yesterday so now I'm ready to use my stir plate

I racked to another Carboy added my sparkloid or whatever it is called two day it is clear but still some sediment on bottom is it done or need more time to sit before I move to diff container and back sweeten?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks now I'm getting someplace. Just got my stir bar in the mail yesterday so now I'm ready to use my stir plate

There are so many ways to start SP, and really I think they all boil down to the fact that the yeast are more hardy than we give them credit for. I started an 8-gallon batch yesterday by adding my water, invert sugar solution, and 2 bottles of lemon juice to the fermenter with the nutrient/energizer/tannin, and starting two packs of Premier Cuvee on a stir plate with 1 cup of warm water and 1 tablespoon of sugar, plus a pinch of nutrient and energizer. I let the yeast bloom for 30 minutes (probably less, they were going strong) then I added 1 cup of the must. Let that spin for 20 minutes until I could see it was picking up again (foaming) and added another cup of must. Repeated once more with 2 cups on the third addition which brought my starter up to 1300mL or so. I let that spin while I aerated my must with a paint mixer, then dumped it all together and set it to 74°. That was last night. Just checked it this morning and it's got a good head going already. After it hits 1.060 I'll dump in the 3rd bottle and the 2nd addition of nutrient and energizer.

This is how I did my first batch (a year ago - exactly!) and it came out awesome. I even used one new pack of PC yeast and one I had left over from that first batch. No problem. It would probably work with just everything added all at once, but I don't mind taking two steps since I know it works and it takes about 7 seconds. :)

There are so many ways to start SP, and really I think they all boil down to the fact that the yeast are more hardy than we give them credit for.

Agreed. I do not have a stirplate or fancy aeration stones or drill attachments, and this is how I make my Skeeter Pee batches. I realize my method is probably overkill and im sure there's better ways, but this is what worked for me 100% of the time and has been repeatable while experimenting with different flavors every time. Seen several posts on this thread of others doing things in ways that seem like they didnt read the instructions, so hope this answers alot of questions. NOTE This was the first thing other than Beer extract kits I EVER made, so if a noob like me could figure this out, there's hope for anyone else reading this.

Day 1: Make invert sugar with 1 quart of water and 1 lb of white sugar. Add to gallon jug with 1/2 gallon of 100% juice (pick something similar to your desired batch flavor), top off with water. Add 1 pack EC 1118, put cap on & shake vigorously, then put on stopper and airlock and let sit in cool dark place.

Day 3: Put 1-2 lbs (thawed)frozen fruit in strainer bag and place in bottom of 6.5 gallon fermenter. Following SP directions, make the invert sugar by adding white sugar to water, stirring until solution is clear and sugar is fully dissolved. Dump on top of fruit in fermenter, along with 2 bottles of Lemon Juice, and first half of Nutrient and Energizer. Top off to 5.25ish gallons with water, stir vigorously to aerate and get the preservatives in Lemon juice to start evaporating. Take gravity reading, add sugar until it reaches 1.070ish then cover with towel and let sit.

Day 5: Take Towel off of Fermenter. Stir vigorously, squeeze fruit bag against side of fermenter with brew spoon, then dump in entire contents of 1 Gallon Starter, continuing to stir.
(it helps if you shake starter before dumping to dislodge yeast cake from bottom so all the goodness gets into the main batch)
Affix Lid and airlock, and let it go.

A few notes: This makes 6.25 gallons once starter added, which is close to top of fermenter. Headspace is not an issue bc EC 1118 is a low krausen yeast, you won't even need a blowoff valve with this recipe.

After 5-8 days, Gravity will be 1.020 or lower. Add second half of Nutrient/Energizer, and third bottle of Lemon Juice. Squeeze fruit bag against side with brew spoon. 1-2 days later, rack to new fermenter, and discard fruit.
(IMO the SG here is not THAT important, just watch it bc this stuff ferments dry FAST)

Once this ferments DRY- meaning .994 to .988, add Kmeta, Sorbate and Sparkalloid, and rack to Glass Carboy. Now is the time to be patient. Let it clear really well (could be 1 week, could be 3) before proceeding. The fruit juices make it harder to tell when its "clear", but at the very least watch for the yeast "halo" to settle out. Oftentimes it will still look opaque but will be much clearer once u bottle. Btw going dry, stabilizing, and waiting to clear, this should safely kill off any renewed fermentation problems when backsweetening

Once "clear", transfer and backsweeten. I backsweeten with 2-3 cans of 100% juice concentrate (same or complimentary flavor to juice in starter and fruit used), and sugar to taste. Once it tastes right, let sit for another 1-2 weeks just MAKE SURE no more fermentation takes place, and to let it age and mix together. This step can prob be shortened if neccesary.

Bottle/Keg. This stuff is ready to drink right away, and you can put it in wine bottles or 12ozers. Serve chilled and/or over ice and be careful, its dangerously good.

If you have an auto siphon, use it as a pump, with the outlet aimed back into the must. It will work like a fish tank bubbler!

Well actually...

You shouldn't need to make a starter with dry yeast, but if you must: make sure to rehydrate the yeast first per the directions and not directly pour the dry yeast into your starter. The dry yeast has been packaged with nutrients designed specifically for rehydration of dry yeast. While it will make beer if you put it directly into the starter, you run the risk of killing up to 50% of the yeast.

Sorry, I'm in the middle of the "Yeast" book by Chris White and Jamil. Just had to add my 2¢...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Well actually...

You shouldn't need to make a starter with dry yeast, but if you must: make sure to rehydrate the yeast first per the directions and not directly pour the dry yeast into your starter. The dry yeast has been packaged with nutrients designed specifically for rehydration of dry yeast. While it will make beer if you put it directly into the starter, you run the risk of killing up to 50% of the yeast.

Sorry, I'm in the middle of the "Yeast" book by Chris White and Jamil. Just had to add my 2¢...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Its fine here, done it over and over and over. This isnt beer

I agree with not starting dry yeast but mainly because it's unnecessary with beer. You don't need to boost cell counts with a dry yeast pack (or two). But since this is such a harsh environment I decided to proof them first and ease them into the low pH, not so much for them but for my own peace of mind.

Don't forget, this is wine yeast and a seriously strong flavor from the lemon. The yeast aren't an ingredient like they are in beer, where esters are important. They're a tool to chew up all that glucose and fructose and make ethanol.

Also, it took me about an hour from rehydration to pitching. I wouldn't qualify that as a "starter" anyway.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

Yes, the lemon juice is a hostile environment for yeast, made more so by the preservatives used in the lemon juice. This is why you aerate the must and give it time to let preservatives dissolve into the air.

It's also why the recipe recommends you do a yeast starter that's not full of lemon juice, or use slurry, so the yeast can get going before you dump into this difficult environment.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395339297.749920.jpg is mine ready to be back sweetened or need to sit longer?

Yeah kmeta and sorbate have been put in it already just wasn't sure if it needed to clear anymore then that and sediment on bottom was normal before moving to another container and back sweetening it

Yeah kmeta and sorbate have been put in it already just wasn't sure if it needed to clear anymore then that and sediment on bottom was normal before moving to another container and back sweetening it

It looks fantastic! Rack it!

I just started a 5 gallon batch of water/sugar/yeast at 1.080 - 1.082. I am planning to add the lemon juice during the next couple of days, but not all at once. Will be using 96oz total over 2ish days with nutrient/energizer. I am assuming this is ok vs using a starter. Can't wait as my mixed jalapeno berry batch needs more aging/mellowing time.

dekton1543 That is how I do it and it works real good, I let it get going good then just dump all three bottles at once, goes dry every time with no stress. This is the easiest way to make this stuff. I'm certain if you wanted to use a slurry with the sugar water it would work good too.

Looks great Trainman, rack that!!! Def ready for backsweetening.
In my experience, the regular pee clears faster than ones w fruit additions, and the lighter color makes it easier to tell when its clear.

---POSTER TOO LAZY TO READ WHOLE THREAD---

I'm having a my first full glass of my pee and enjoying it.

I used montrachet wine yeast and fermented low and slow. At first I was very disappointed, tasted like hooch, MD 20/20.... After 3 weeks in the keg it's very tasty and refreshing now.
Is it better now because it's carbed up properly?
Does it come together in the keg like a beer?
Do you guys drink it carbonated?

I have another batch 3 weeks in. Same yeast. Have not made final addition. Any suggestions on flavoring it up? I am thinking of back sweetening with Raspberry concentrate or cranberry cocktail. I can get cherry syrup also.

Cheers

---POSTER TOO LAZY TO READ WHOLE THREAD---

I'm having a my first full glass of my pee and enjoying it.

I used montrachet wine yeast and fermented low and slow. At first I was very disappointed, tasted like hooch, MD 20/20.... After 3 weeks in the keg it's very tasty and refreshing now.
Is it better now because it's carbed up properly?
Does it come together in the keg like a beer?
Do you guys drink it carbonated?

I have another batch 3 weeks in. Same yeast. Have not made final addition. Any suggestions on flavoring it up? I am thinking of back sweetening with Raspberry concentrate or cranberry cocktail. I can get cherry syrup also.

Cheers

Probably personal preference. My first batch I actually never back-sweetened and I loved it right after I had it packaged into some 1-gallon juice jugs (I had 6 from making Brandon-O's graff). It was great on its own or mixed with other things. I really liked it blended with frozen strawberries as a smoothie. Taste before you back-sweeten, is my advice, and go from there.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

Last night I backsweetened my first 5-gallon batch and served a "taste" to a few friends who were over. One glass became several glasses and ended with 2 of my friends asking for a liter each to go.

This stuff is WILDLY successful. Huzzah.

As soon as I get my ass in gear Im going to bottle (I dont keg... yet...) but last night was the night of the sanitized ladle right out of the bucket...

Has anyone tried this?
http://www.skeeterpee.com/Skeeter_Pee/Welcome.html
Looks like it has the potential to be good, I'm just looking for someone with experience with it before I give it a shot.

@klcramer, Yes I have used that exact recipe. I would recommend using 4 32 ounce bottles of lemon juice and back sweetening with 6 cups invert sugar instead of just regular table sugar. I even used 32 ounce of cranberry Juice(pure) to make more of a pink lemonade. I am going to try maybe double that next time. Just my opinion that recipe doesn't have enough tart and sweetness to cover up the alcohol. You will end up with more of a sweet lemon wine(which it is, but hopefully you get what I am saying) instead of more of a lemonade drink.

You could almost fool someone that they were drinking a regular cup of lemonade at about 9% alcohol content with the way mine turned out.

Well, my water/sugar/yeast solution really never "kicked off". 2 days later and it was still at the OG :(. I decided to dump all of the 96oz of lemon juice in anyways last night and told myself that I would make a starter in the morning. This morning, it's bubbling like crazy. Weird, who knows? But it's going and I'm excited for my first batch of pee. All my apfelwein and variants have never received a bad remark from friends/family.

Back sweetened last night man this stuff is good gonna be a fun summer!

Mine is over carbonated a bit, which is pretty great actually. When I pour it on ice, I got the "fizzy spray on the nose when taking a sip" thing that you get from soda.

Tastes like Zima. Mine does anyway. Not talking chit either...I used to crush the Zima in the early 90's.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but how do you carbonate this stuff in bottles if you treat it with sulfites and back sweeten?

Tested my batch today and it has barely even moved. Rereading my notes, I see that I never put in nutrient and energizer... Oops... So I put in the nutrients and energizer and was ready to repitch yeast. Before adding the yeast, the batch started fizzing and bubbling. I wonder why the yeast are active but not working, if that's the case... I'll recheck the gravity in a couple of days and determine if a starter is needed at that point.

Just kinda bummed that everything looked fermenting while the gravity never moved!

I speak only of my own experiences but I find that my pee takes forever to start fermenting, but once it starts going....It goes strong. I wouldn't sweat it at this point.

Tested my batch today and it has barely even moved. Rereading my notes, I see that I never put in nutrient and energizer... Oops... So I put in the nutrients and energizer and was ready to repitch yeast. Before adding the yeast, the batch started fizzing and bubbling. I wonder why the yeast are active but not working, if that's the case... I'll recheck the gravity in a couple of days and determine if a starter is needed at that point.

Just kinda bummed that everything looked fermenting while the gravity never moved!

Its a really harsh and acidic environment for the little guys so not suprised you got little to no movement. Watch it the next couple days. Personally I never leave it to chance and do a starter, always a quick clean ferment.

Its a really harsh and acidic environment for the little guys so not suprised you got little to no movement. Watch it the next couple days. Personally I never leave it to chance and do a starter, always a quick clean ferment.

Ditto. Starter works every time. It takes my batches longer to clarify than to ferment dry.

If one wanted to reduce the "winey" tones in SkeeterPee, would one switch yeasts, reduce fermentation temp, or do something else entirely?

Never tried switching yeasts or lowering ferm temp. How sweet do you make yours ? I do different fruit flavors every time, and this seems to mask some of that winey taste. Also, drinking it cold & on ice helps too.

If you backsweeten it with white grapefruit juice concentrate, the pucker factor will def hide that wineyness :)

Never tried switching yeasts or lowering ferm temp. How sweet do you make yours ? I do different fruit flavors every time, and this seems to mask some of that winey taste. Also, drinking it cold & on ice helps too.

If you backsweeten it with white grapefruit juice concentrate, the pucker factor will def hide that wineyness :)

I usually over document, but in this case I wish I'd have taken better notes, lol. I'm not sure how much sugar I back sweetened with. I'm pretty sure I used the recommended 6 cups, but I made invert sugar with that amount and used it to sweeten.

Cold and on ice definitely helps. I actually don't really mind the winey flavor, but my wife doesn't like it. She'd like something cleaner, more like a traditional lemonade.

For kicks, I also force carbed 2l worth. That dried out the flavor a bit and made it more champagne-like. I think adding more sugar would help with that.

Overall, I like the stuff. It's my first batch of SP. The one thing I'd like to do, for benefit of SWMBO, is reduce the wine :)

Back