max boil limit for keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
i wanna do a 11 gallon batch this weekend and beersmith shows a 14.5 gallon boil. will this be ok in my 15.5 gallon keggle?

cascades/orange pale ale listed in the recipe database. 12 oz cascades (2 oz fwh, 2 oz 10, 2 oz 5, 2 oz 1 min), whirlfloc, 4 oz orange zest, and 2 oz coriander in boil.

Well, it depends on how close you watch it! If you use ferm-cap, that would help. I've boiled over a 5 gallon batch in my keggle, so it's possible! Today, my boil volume was 12 gallons, and it came close to boiling over a few times. If you stand there with a spray bottle, and turn the heat off/down when it threatens to boil over, you might be ok. I personally wouldn't go over 13 gallons in my keggle.

hmmmm..i guess you learn from experience (i had my lhbs mix all the grains into one bag) so i think my only options are to 1), overshoot OG and go higher on the alcohol content using less water, 2.) do a 60 minute boil vs a 90 minute boil (13.3 gallons vs 14.5) or 3.) top up after boil

what would you do yooperbrew?

I have a keggle. Max i put in there is 13.5 gallons, and I use fermcap during the boil, and turn down the boil kettle (electric).

I would either top up at the end, or top up a bit at a time starting at the 30 minute mark. save yourself the hassel so you can relax during the boil.

I have pushed the envelope in my keggle several times, boiling close to full capacity, around 14.5+ (not sure on the measurement). Like Yooper states, watch it carefully...keep your flame low when you approach boil temps, then crank it up as time passes and hot break dissipates.

I don't spray or use any de-foaming additives (not that there's anything wrong with that). Allow for at least 90 minute boil...that will help with reducing your wort for more vigorous boil for 60 min. My last batch like this was a 120 min boil...hops started at 90min

I would re-check your calcs in Beersmith.

3.5 gallons of boil-off seems a bit high. A keggle typically loses about 1.5 gallons per hour. I have no problem with 11 gallon batches in mine.

beersmith calcs have worked just right for me. remember, 3.5 gallons is for 90 minutes and 2.5 for 60 minutes. i calculate evaporation from first boiling bubble to the end, so maybe thats why i get a higher evaporation rate. maybe some people are calculating evaporation rate from burner ignition to the end.

i may try a 60 minute boil with 13.5 gallons and see what happens or just try 10 gallons and top up after hot break...havent decided yet.

Well, it depends on how close you watch it! If you use ferm-cap, that would help. I've boiled over a 5 gallon batch in my keggle, so it's possible! Today, my boil volume was 12 gallons, and it came close to boiling over a few times. If you stand there with a spray bottle, and turn the heat off/down when it threatens to boil over, you might be ok. I personally wouldn't go over 13 gallons in my keggle.

Spray bottle? How does that work? Do you just spray water into the kettle as it's foaming up?

I usually start the boil with a little over 14 gallons in my keggle, and generally can avoid a boilover without much problem. I typically FWH with 2 oz of hops (don't know if this affects boilover one way or another) and have not used Fermcap.
I typically boil for 70 minutes, and boil-off about 2 gallons.

Fermcap is great stuff. It really does keep the foam to a minimium; I haven't had a boil-over since I started using the stuff. Works really well for making starters too.

Not to change the subject but, how does a person lift the keggle with 11 gallons in it to a higher place than on the burner to transfer the wort into the fermenter? This is the only thing stopping me from doing a larger batch.

beersmith calcs have worked just right for me. remember, 3.5 gallons is for 90 minutes and 2.5 for 60 minutes. i calculate evaporation from first boiling bubble to the end, so maybe thats why i get a higher evaporation rate. maybe some people are calculating evaporation rate from burner ignition to the end.

i may try a 60 minute boil with 13.5 gallons and see what happens or just try 10 gallons and top up after hot break...havent decided yet.
Do you usually boil off 2.5 gallons per hour? If so, then 90 minutes will boil off 3.75. But that is much higher than the usual for a converted keg. Do you usually do 5 gallon batches? You will boil off about the same volume per hour with a 10 gallon batch as a 5 gallon batch.
:mug:

I don't have a keggle, but I do have a 15 gal. pot, and I fill it almost to the brim, within an inch of the rim. I use plenty of FermCap-S and I only have a problem when the boil gets vigorous enough to throw liquid over the edge. I'd highly recommend FermCap-S. I was a little worried about what it would do the head in my beers, but it has had no effect whatsoever. I only use it in the boil, my fermenter has plenty of room for Krausen, so i don't bother.

Not to change the subject but, how does a person lift the keggle with 11 gallons in it to a higher place than on the burner to transfer the wort into the fermenter? This is the only thing stopping me from doing a larger batch.

you dont. one, its extremely hot, and two, its extremely heavy. you use a pump to transfer the wort.

you dont. one, its extremely hot, and two, its extremely heavy. you use a pump to transfer the wort.

or gravity. Most with Kegs as boil pots (or other vessels doing large boils) have a ball valve for a drain. Open ballvalve, drain wort into fermenter. Lift empty ket.

Do you usually boil off 2.5 gallons per hour? If so, then 90 minutes will boil off 3.75. But that is much higher than the usual for a converted keg. Do you usually do 5 gallon batches? You will boil off about the same volume per hour with a 10 gallon batch as a 5 gallon batch.
:mug:

time for clarification and an update. i brewed on sunday and here is what i did. i usually calculate my evaporation rate from flame on to flame out for the boil. if recipe calls for a 60 minute boil, i time it from the point at which the boil starts to bubble consistently. i also realized during this batch i have the flame set too high. towards the end of the boil, after spraying for 45 minutes, i adjusted the temp down and still achieved a rolling boil. no wonder i was boiling off so much. now, i will justboil at lower heat. with that being said, i feel confident i can boil 12.5 gallons or 13 gallons max, boiling off less in the future

Back