How much sulphite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machinist09

Reaction score
Tomorrow I am going to rack a stabilized red(Merlot) and white(Gerwerz) over into another glass carboy to do some bulk aging. I am 3 weeks past stabilazation and fining, and want to get it off the sediment. Should i add 1/4 tsp of sulphites now, and then some more when I bottle in about 5 months. Or should I only add the 1/4 tsp once, and when?

Tomorrow I am going to rack a stabilized red(Merlot) and white(Gerwerz) over into another glass carboy to do some bulk aging. I am 3 weeks past stabilazation and fining, and want to get it off the sediment. Should i add 1/4 tsp of sulphites now, and then some more when I bottle in about 5 months. Or should I only add the 1/4 tsp once, and when?

Normally, to guestimate 50 ppm, you add it at every other racking and at bottling. So, if you haven't added any recently (but you did when you stabilized, correct), then add it now. But if you added it recently, then it'll be fine until bottling day.

It was potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite that were added at stabilizing time 3 weeks ago.

Back