stirstarter.com stir plate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has purchased the stirstarter.com stir plate? $42 seems like an awesome price for what you get and it doesnt even seem that much cheaper to make one your self

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the stirstarter.com stir plate? $42 seems like an awesome price for what you get and it doesnt even seem that much cheaper to make one your self

Lots of guys here have purchased one of these stirrers and are thrilled with them. I have one also. It is a bargin. You can get it $6.00 cheaper if you purchase using buy it now on Ebay. The owner is a member here also. Have a look at this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stir-plates-rock-134848/

Went ahead and placed an order last night. To my pleasant surprise, I awoke to an email stating that my unit would be shipped out tomorrow (because today is labor day). What great communication. I cant wait to make my first stirred starter :D.

I have this as well. The delivery and service are excellent. Overall I do like the product but my wish list for changes are:

1. Make the footprint large enough for the 2000 mL to sit on so it's not hanging over the edge
2. The plug where the transformer plugs into the back has been pulled out a few times exposing the plug.

Not complaining, it does what it's designed for . I'd probably buy again for the price...I have searched for stir plates on ebay since I got this one though that may be more substantial.

I have had one for about 6 months. No complaints. I use it with 1L, 2L, and a 1 Gallon growler with no problems.

how big can this $42 stirplate go? 4L, 5L,... ?

I have one with a 4l flask on it right now. There's only a 2l starter in it, but it works just fine.

FWIW I bought a longer stirbar and it wouldn't work with this plate. It kept getting thrown.

Stirplate.jpg

4l, that thing's freakin ginormous lol? What are you using that 1056 in? Must be for a 10gallon+ batch?
The largest starter for 5 gal I do is about 1200mL, although I am going to pitch an American Amber onto a cream ale 1056 yeast cake tomorrow.

4l, that thing's freakin ginormous lol? What are you using that 1056 in? Must be for a 10gallon+ batch?
The largest starter for 5 gal I do is about 1200mL, although I am going to pitch an American Amber onto a cream ale 1056 yeast cake tomorrow.

Just an APA. I'll refrigerate it overnight and decant the liquid and it'll be perfect for 5.5 gallons of 1.060 wort.

Got one on ebay and he send me a busted one. Once I let him know I had a new one at my door two days later. Stellar service plus a lifetime guarantee? Can't ask for much more

Thanks for the reviews, was planning to build my own, but I guess I'm just lazy. Order sent!

Yes, it's very obvious to me that this vender cares about his product..I wouldn't hesitate.

+1.

I was concerned that the plate wouldn't work with my 4l flask and I sent him an email before ordering. His reply:

I have stirred a 4L sugar solution in a 4L plastic beaker successfully. I think my stir plate would be able to work with a flask that size, although I have not personally tried to do so.

If you buy a StirStarter and you are not happy with it's performance, I will refund your purchase price and pay to have it shipped back to me. There is no risk to you for trying it out.

Can't beat that.
(other than having purchased a stirplate, I have no financial relationship with stirstarters)

I just bought one and it arrived a couple of hours ago. It appears to be very well built, it's nicely packaged and was shipped without delay. It includes a 'keeper' magnet to hold the stir bar in place when pitching the yeast, and very good instructions. Mine is now happily whirling away in the basement stirring up a starter in a 2 liter flask. I highly recommend this. It's not made to get wet or be used in high heat situations, but these constraints shouldn't be a problem for homebrewers. The price is very reasonable.

I received mine on Saturday. I'm very happy with it but now I need to get a bigger flask because it won't work with my 1-gallon growler. It throws the stir bar when using a growler but I'm guessing this would happen with any stir plate, not just this one.

The issue with the growler is the curved bottom. I have had some luck with doing starters in a growler and also in a clear gallon jug (e.g. from apple cider or similar) but I had to dial down the speed pretty low and get it centered really well, and even then it would occasionally throw the bar.

I would be the exception to the rule. I have one, it does not work. I messed with it for two hours trying to get it to spin. Just throws the stir bar to the edge of the flask.

Back