First dry hop. Leaf hop qty vs pellet qty.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firechicken

Reaction score
About time to dry hop the first brew. Recipe calls to dry hop 5 days before bottling. Doesn't say leaf hop or pellet. I bought leaf hops. Any idea if .5 oz of leaf hops is the same as .5 of pellet hops? Similar utilization? Also, should I take the hop bag out before cold crashing?

Between pellets and leaf hops (dried) they are oz for oz. Now, people will certainly chime in with their formulas for dry hopping quantities for each but, in theory, you should be able to sub oz for oz.

I would take the hop bag out before cold crashing. Do your dry hop time and then move on to cold crashing and bottling/kegging.

Also keep in mind that an ounce of whole leaf will be far greater than the same amount of pellets. I had to use a muslin steeping bag (not quite as long as a biab bag) to put my whole leaf in for boil or dry hop compared to pellets.

Latest posts

Back