Suggestions and Help with my system and panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capn_James

Reaction score
How's it going HBT !?! I am in the process of converting my propane setup to electric and I have some ideas, but I am not sure if they are practical. What I would like to do is step mash with with the (slightly modified)tube from the "Rims for dummies" thread in a 10g water cooler. I plan on using a 240v 4500w element for the tube to accomplish the step(s). As for the BK(15g Sanke), I plan on using a 240v 5500w element. Ideally, I would like to have a temp probe on the RIMS tube and the BK. For cooling, I am probably going to start off with my immersion chiller for now (Jamil's whirlpool), upgrades/mods later. Below is my equipment list I have as of 9/29/11 waiting to get tinkered on.

(2) 15g Sanke's with two nipples each (need to get the coupler for the element welded in)

(1) 10g water cooler (MLT)

(1) Spa panel wired up, ready to go

(1) March pump

(1) 50' L, 1/2" ID immersion chiller

(1) RIMS tube, 2" SS pipe
a. 2 6" nipples,
b. 2 tees
c. 1 coupler
d. other appropriate hardware for the tube (minus sensor and element)

Of course budget is an issue so I would like to only use one PID and possibly incorporate a timer. For the probes, I was thinking of a switch so the PID would read from the one desired.

So whadda ya think?

Thanks for the help HBT!:mug:

edit: should probably ask some direct questions

Is the Auber SYL-2352 suitable for step mashing?

I am considering a 3000w element for the tube, anyone have any experience?

I would like to be able to switch between the two elements, and, only have the RIMS element be functional when the pump is running.

Indicator lights are fun and inexpensive, I would like to have them for pump power and element power. Panel power lighting is optional, still not sure what enclosure i should use.

I am not the best at creating wiring diagrams, but I can follow them. Maybe I can get one of those famous P-J diagrams... ;)

Again, thanks for all of the info on the site!

Back