Milk Stout Mash Temp ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
155-158˚F is what I'd do, for lots of body.

Unless there are a truly excessive amount of caramel grains / etc, then maybe 154-156.

But stout, to me, means lots of roasted and flaked barley for mouthfeel and creaminess. Then a little bit of cara to tie it all together.

2lb Maris Otter
1/2lb Carapils
1/2 Crystal 60L
1/4 Chocolate
1/4 Black Patent
1/4 Black Roasted Barely
5lb Dark LME
1lb Lactose

1oz Mt Hood 60min
Wyeast British Ale 1098

Mash as normal - 150-152F. You don't need to mash hot for dextrins when you're using Dark DME, Carapils & Crystal and lactose. Mouthfeel and body come from the specialty grains both already in the DME and from the mini-mash grist. Oh, and the lactose. ;)

Bob

Good tweak? Bad tweak?? what would you do ?????

OK - I had PLANNED on mashing at 154ish. HOWEVER - Something went wrong and it seemed I was mashing more at 158. Either the strike water was hotter the I expected or whatever.

SO - I'm thinking this is going to really add some content to mouthfeel (like the need for a spoon?) so I felt I had to back on something. Closets thing I felt was Lactose.

If the wort was going to have extra non-fermental sugar I (on the fly) decided to cut 25% out of the lactose and instead of 1lb make it 3/4 lb!

thoughts???

My OG came out high with 1.064 instead of 1.059.

It's bubbling away as I type. Fermentation started 3 hours after I pitched.

BTW - first Full boil (well - two 1/2 boils actually - needed better hops utilization and can't wait for the fat red man with holy gifts to show up with a turkey fryer and extras).

BTW - Bob - like the new website - things are going slowly here - small setback

Weird that your temps would have been that far off. I think you did the right thing cutting back on the lactose.

Gotcha. Thanks for having a look.

Bob

I was surprised also - I have to think my strike temp reading was off. When I put the grains in and took another reading . .WTF - I lost only 5 degrees?????

Back