FresHops or DIY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugster

Well-Known, Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well,

I placed my original order with DIY "Order Number: 101
Date Ordered: Tuesday 18 March, 2008 " and I understand that they are not shipping til early April (which is right next door) so I must wait. Being in the AZ climate and probably the right time to get these in the ground, I am getting anxious. Actually still getting my soil mixture finished.

Hence I place a 2nd order with FresHops today! I know they are well busy with the increase of sales for Rhizomes but wondering if I will recieve the FresHops order before the DIY order. Not saying anything bad about DIY (I guess the weather is still a bit cold for them to be harvested) but reading all the posts about how everyone has recieved thiers already got me going :ban:

Either way I win...with the reward of making Beer with MY OWN HOPS!!!:tank:

Kug

I got mine today from Freshops (ordered in early Feb). I ordered 6 varieties, and they sent me a 7th (Crystal) for free (don't know if it was an accident or on purpose). Needless to say, I made a spot in my hop yard for it.

Planted all mine today. Can't wait to train those little suckers up that twine.

Kugster said:
Not saying anything bad about DIY (I guess the weather is still a bit cold for them to be harvested)
DIY isn't digging their own rhizomes. They're reselling hops they're purchasing from other suppliers, similar to what other online retailers like midwest and northern brewer are doing. I don't know WHAT suppliers they are using so it's impossible to say if those suppliers should have been digging sooner than this.

Personally I haven't lost any sleep over it since we still have quite a bit of snow cover here... but I guess if you're in an area where it's time to plant it may be different for you.

I received my Fresh hop order last week(ordered the day it was posted up for ordering) but only partial... they sent me one of each and not 2 so they are sending me the rest now... but still waiting on NB's rhizomes. But I still have to do some ground work and Trellis build along with hoping another freeze doesn't happen.... It snowed just not to long ago here in GA... freakishly odd being late March.. been 15 years since a blizzard in this month so it wasnt tooooooo surprising.

I just picked up my Magnum and Nugget hop rhizomes from DIY (I live close enough to where they are located.) Both are of decent size and have several buds. I am going to assume that yours are probably on their way to you.

ejacques said:
I just picked up my Magnum and Nugget hop rhizomes from DIY (I live close enough to where they are located.) Both are of decent size and have several buds. I am going to assume that yours are probably on their way to you.

Nice!! Yeah, I'm still getting my soil all done the right way. For all I know they are sitting at my doorstep as I type!

The Winner is.....Freshops!!!:tank:

I ordered on 3/29 and recieved them this past weekend. I had them delivered to my work and of course they got here on Saturday and noone picked up the mail till today! :( They seem ok...some of those little white spots but I think they will be ok! Still waiting on my order from DIY?? Actually they could be sitting in my mailbox at home since Friday for all I know, because we went camping this weekend and have not checked mail...guess i will be at lunch!

I will follow up later

Kug
:rockin:

Just got an email from DIY yesterday saying my rhizomes would be on their way to me as of today. And there is STILL a 3 foot high pile of snow right outside my window, so I am still not in a big rush :p

I received the same email from DIY. Hm. I wonder how long it takes for hops to arrive from the east coast to ND via postal shipping...

EinGutesBier said:
I received the same email from DIY. Hm. I wonder how long it takes for hops to arrive from the east coast to ND via postal shipping...

Me too!! I just emailed DIY wondering how they were shipped...

"Your's were first class usps. They should be there this Friday.
Thanks

--
Michael Bernier
[email protected]
Http://www.diybrewing.com
603-205-4168
Because who doesn't love beer?"

So I would guess that you should have yours by Thursday if not sooner. Friday for us AZ folk!

Rock On!!! :rockin:

The Little Girls have been put to Bed!!!! Finally!!

My Rhizomes from DIY showed up Friday...a little dissapointed on the shipping quality and the condition of my Cascade Rhizome. The Hallertau looks killer...you'll see...

Rhizomes.jpg

These are my Rhizomes from FH's
FresHops Rhizomes.jpg

These are my Rhizomes from DIY
DIY Rhizomes.jpg

The hallertau looks great I must say...little root ball and all!

The DIY ones came all cramed into a tiny package...seemed like the Cascade was a little damaged...we'll see what happens.

Grow babie...grow!!:ban:

Don't worry about the Cascade's condition. It is a vigorous variety. My Cascades was the only bine that had enough flowers the first year to bother harvesting. The second year, it out-produced the other 7 by quite a margin. Year 3 & I have some shoots coming out of last year's bines and about 25 coming out of the ground.

Back