Starting my Keezer Build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
So I am starting my Keezer build and have a few questions before I start cutting and building.

1) How long do the chest freezers usually last for? If I buy a 3-4 year one on CL is it worth it, or spend the extra 100 bucks or so and get a new one.
2) I have seen some people add a cooling or fan system on the outside of the freezer (Such as BBentley and Jester). Is this ultimately needed or just something extra people add as well.

That is all I have for now. I should be up and going shortly and will post pics as I go...

Without trying to fuel a debate on if adding wood directly to the skin of a freezer hurts or helps or whatever... Most freezers will say in the specs how much space they require around the shell to allow for the heat to dissipate through the skin of the freezer. It is usually something like 3-4" on the front/sides and 2-3" on the back. I added the fans just because I am an engineer and tend to over-engineer everything. I left enough space to meet the requirement, but wanted fans too. Also, I had HOPED for another effect, but it didnt work out like I wanted. My fans all have red LEDs in them.. I had hoped for a red glow from behind the keezer (against the whtie wanes coating) to go along with my white rope light on the coffin. if you look closely at the colors in my room and the print behind the keezer you will see why.. :)

On how long the freezer will last.. there is no way to really know. Some people will have a freezer last them 10+ years.. others will have them crap out the day after the warranty runs out. Best bet is to design it to where you can get the freezer out fairly easy in the event that you ever need to replace it.

Hope that helps.. look forward to seeing some build pictures!

Thanks Bentley - The design I drew out was somewhat like yours. Was your outside frame done with 2x4??

I like the idea of the red fans for the light, I did the same with my computers and xbox I made. I could always add them later if I need the extra cooling. I found a 7.1 cu ft freezer, and I assume that they are all pretty similar in size, so if anything happens I will be able to swap it out with ease.

There is a thread that was posted where the wood was attached directly to the skin of the freezer. It was a few years old and I can't find it, but if I remember correctly he attached 1/4 oak plywood to the freezer (with liquid nails or some other construction adhesive?). The quarter inch plywood is actually closer to 1/8...

The builder said that he researched the R factor and determined that it would not be a problem. He made an update post a couple of years after the build and said that it was still working fine. I'll try to find it...

Thanks Bentley - The design I drew out was somewhat like yours. Was your outside frame done with 2x4??

I like the idea of the red fans for the light, I did the same with my computers and xbox I made. I could always add them later if I need the extra cooling. I found a 7.1 cu ft freezer, and I assume that they are all pretty similar in size, so if anything happens I will be able to swap it out with ease.

Yeah I just used 2x4s for the frame. Let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to pass along any knowledge I gained! :mug:

So my update is depressing. I went to pick up a 9 cu ft I found on CL for $50. About 5 minutes to getting there the guy tells me he just sold it. Bummer!!! So now it's back on the lookout or might buy a new one. I know the 9 is what I want for the keg count and possibility of a carboy, so I may start building everything else till then....

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Well after a couple of heart breaks and problems, I decided to give in...

Bought a 9 Cu Ft Freezer last night from Lowes. It was $259, but after a coupon, my military discount (Got to love the double dip) and a gift card I got as a gift the other day, it was under $100, so I decided why the hell not. It is suppose to be here around 11am, so the building will start then.:rockin:

I have a majority of the 2x4/2x6 and the oak board, so out of pocket right now shouldn't be that cheap.

I will upload some pictures later today and let everyone know how it is join....

Can't wait to see the progress! If I can be of any help, please let me know. I went with a cabinet with a 4" gap around the front and sides of the freezer and left the back wide open. Out of fear of this thing overheating, I installed vents on both sides of the cabinet and a decorative brushed nickel vent across the front to allow any heat to escape. Not sure if it was necessary, but the thought of more wiring to install circulation fans for the cabinet was enough to help me make the decision. My thread is very long and drawn out, but some parts of it may be beneficial to you....it's in my signature line.

Thank you for your service to our country and good luck with the build! :mug:

Thanks Hop, I actually looked at your build and BBentley's a bunch to do my initial design and blueprint. I just finished the base and it has the 4" gap around the freezer to help prevent overheating.

Now I am pondering if I want to put a 6" collar on the freezer or not. If I don't the keezer itself should be around 40" heigh, just a little under the standard bar height. If I put the collar on, it will be around 45", just over. I am leaning towards the collar just so I could put a carboy on the hump and keep 4-5 kegs on the floor. Only reason I would do this is because I have only been brewing ales since I don't have a way to get the beer to lager temps, but now is the chance I guess. I just worry it may be too tall, but I am 6'4 so for me it doesn't seem that bad.

Will try and post some pics tonight if I can find my stupid cord to my camera. Most of my stuff is in boxes waiting for the move to Florida in a week:ban:

I say if 45" height works for you, then go for it! It might actually be better that height than lower since you are 6'4". I'm sure you friends/family will learn to love whatever height you put it at fairly quickly! Can't wait to see pics and track your progress!

Looking forward to the pics. Glad my thread could help you out. I seriously considered a collar on mine as well, but though better of it because of the height issues that you brought up. I am 6'1" and my taps are at shoulder level without a collar. I needed the taps to be high enough off of the tiled top to allow up to a 22 oz pilzner glass to be used if needed. Granted I usually only use 16 oz. pint glasses or 12 oz. tulip glasses, but I wanted the extra height for a larger glass if I start brewing lighter lagers some day. If I would have added a 6" or 8" collar, the taps would be at forehead level, which is just too high. You being 6'4" could get away with a collar, but I would be more apt to just build a cold fermentation chamber for your lagers and leave the keezer for dispensing only. My 2 cents. Whatever you decide, can't wait to see the progress. :mug:

Sorry for the delay, decided to run the Marathon spur of the moment so hadn't had time to find the camera cable or work on the project any more.

Here is what I got so far...

Sloppy Blue Prints
IMG_3040.jpg

The Bottom Base
IMG_3046.jpg

Sizing the collar
IMG_3051.jpg

Collar added w/ Lid
IMG_3055.jpg

Building the side frame
IMG_3056.jpg

Decided to go w/ the collar as you can tell. The height of the top and the tower as I am figuring is pretty awesome for me and the GF like it as well so I am going with it. Picked out the stain and stone for the top, going back to Lowes tomorrow so I will upload what I plan on. Also going to finish up the frame and try to add the oak sides tomorrow as well, so if I get it going, I will add more pics.

On a side note, do not have Lowes deliver your lumber, go and pick it out yourself. I couldn't transport it, so they did it free with the freezer. Some of them were a little warped. It works, but I feel I might need to adjust a little with the oak sides in order for it to appear and be perfectly straight, but I got time so I will get it how I want:mug:

Webb,

Bottling has been a pain, hence one reason why I am doing this. Plus the idea of always cold draught beer is exciting. If you want to do it and have the room to cut and build I feel its worth it if you will brew enough to have a couple kegs on tap. Also Baltimore always has cheap freezers that are amazing size if you have the ability to bring them down here...

I am only in quantico for another week, then off to Pensacola

Here are some more pictures of the progress I made today...

The finished frame
IMG_3057.jpg

I liquid nailed the collar and put weathering and silicone along the cracks
IMG_3062.jpg

The front and side paneling mounted
IMG_3064.jpg

Prospective Stone
IMG_3063.jpg

The only problem I am facing now is how to mount the siding and doors onto the front and side paneling. I originally went for the thinner oak to save on the weight and cost, ,but now it prohibits me from screwing the other sides to it. I may use liquid nails or pick up a couple of L Brackets and try that way.

As for the stone, I am going to do a border with the 2"x2" squares, and then fill in the middle with the 13"x13" square.

Looks like slate......you can never go wrong with slate. Check out the last page of my Basement Bar Build thread and you can see the slate I used for my bar floor, fully grouted, and with 3 coats of stone sealer. Looks beautiful and would look spectacular on your keezer. :mug:

It is slate, so good eye. The lid and stone won't get touched till after I move next week. Just trying to finish up the bottom half of the keezer before Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Made some more progress today and it is actually starting to look decent, even though trying to get all the pieces up totally kicked the :drunk: out of me...

Starting to put the trim and sides on
IMG_0546.jpg

Starting to put the from trim on
IMG_0547.jpg

Front trim "completed"
IMG_0549.jpg

On the right side of the Keezer I think I am going to do a shelf and cabinet for glasses and liquor bottles. On the left side I am doing a full size cabinet in which I will put the CO2 bottle and regulators possibly just so I don't have to lift the lid or move the keezer to adjust as needed.

On the right side of the Keezer I think I am going to do a shelf and cabinet for glasses and liquor bottles. On the left side I am doing a full size cabinet in which I will put the CO2 bottle and regulators possibly just so I don't have to lift the lid or move the keezer to adjust as needed.

That is similar to what I had planned on doing, but my SWMBOs ocd would not allow me to have the sides different... lol. I wanted to do the cabinet like you see on each side of mine on the right and just a full 3 or 4 level "bookshelf" on the left side for glasses and such. Build looks great so far! :mug:

Here are the final pics before the move. Let's hope it doesn't fall apart.

I have the front and side trim installed. I didn't have time to do the shelf or the doors, but I think the 1000 mile drive will give me enough time to think about how I want to do it.
IMG_0555.jpg

The inside gives me enough room for 4 kegs and a carboy on the hump. I am also going to use the baskets for bottles as well. If you look closely you can see 1) A spider stuck in the keezer since day 2, and 2) My blood drops from cutting myself. Any project isn't complete without shedding some blood.
IMG_0556.jpg

Looks great - I love these designs that incorporate storage! :mug:

The storage is a must for me now. I wanted the inside for beer, and didn't want to worry about CO2 canisters taking that away. Also depending on where I move to and what not, I figure I won't always have the optimal placing of the keezer, and I would hate to always have to walk somewhere to get a glass. I would like to be able to roll it out onto a deck or patio and have everything in arms reach.

It's been a while, but I am back to working on the Keezer. After moving, starting flight school, and getting engaged, money/time has been a rare occurrence, but I was able to find some and make a big dent into this thing. Here are pictures and an update to "The Monstrosity" as my fiancé calls it...

f971d0ef.jpg

Added shelves to both sides. This side will actually hold the CO2 canister. I order a couple of parts to allow me to tap it right through the freezer itself, allowing more room inside for tastiness!!

d83653e9.jpg

Cut out some doors and stained/poly them and the whole bottom section.

175f0ddf.jpg

Chalked out the approximate pattern for the slate. Just doing something simple and easy.

a1517128.jpg

e193421c.jpg

Put together the coffin and put the majority of foam/insulation inside.

f16623ef.jpg

And this is where it stands. I have the trim pieces all cut and ready to attach to the top, its the attaching them which is giving me the problem. I am going to have to see if I can borrow a nail gun or something since the claps and liquid nails couldn't secure it enough. The fiancé ordered me some plumbing and keg equipment for the V-Day so when that gets here I can attach the shanks and start drilling my holes. After that is done I will stain the top, lay the stone, and finish with the insulation. Also for time and cost effectiveness for now, I am just getting one of the digital johnson controllers to control the air temp in the keeper. Later on I plan on upgrading to a Love w/ some fans, but I don't have the time or the money for that one currently.

Update:

My fiancé is the bomb and decided that she wants this thing finished and pumping some fine beverages that she ordered be some stuff from keg connection and picked up the tile and everything needed to finish the outside!! So today I put in the two taps she got me and laid the tile. I will probably grout either tomorrow or Friday. Once I get my tax refund in, I will pick up the rest of the taps and hoses/kegs and this thing will be rocking. I guess I should get some stuff so I can brew a new beer for it as well...

IMG_0866.jpg

Back