Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a gravity reading yesterday, 15 days after brewing; it's dropped from 1.057 to 1.010. The color is gorgeous and the taste is nice and malty, with solid bready/biscuity flavors. I can't wait to keg and tap this bad boy. Have you ever packaged it in under a month? Thanks again, Mystic.

since you keg... crash cool it and keg it. you can even use gelatin right before crash cooling to get it as clear as possible. or if you're like me, just crash cool and keg. a little extra yeast is good for ya :)

I took a gravity reading yesterday, 15 days after brewing; it's dropped from 1.057 to 1.010. The color is gorgeous and the taste is nice and malty, with solid bready/biscuity flavors. I can't wait to keg and tap this bad boy. Have you ever packaged it in under a month? Thanks again, Mystic.

I always package in under a month.

Dear diary

All my life I have been content to drink one or two Budweiser a day, and never really felt like I wanted to drink more. When I drank more beers, it was because I was in a social occasion. From time to time I also drank some micro and found it nice. Then after making a few batches of cider, I decided to brew beer, just for fun. For my first homebrew, I chose this recipe, but decided to omit the honey because it was only a test.

This is so good it's frightening. I'm not kidding. After drinking one 500 ml beer, I crave having another one so bad that it feels wrong. What am I going to do?

Sincerely : Confused in Canada

Dear diary

All my life I have been content to drink one or two Budweiser a day, and never really felt like I wanted to drink more. When I drank more beers, it was because I was in a social occasion. From time to time I also drank some micro and found it nice. Then after making a few batches of cider, I decided to brew beer, just for fun. For my first homebrew, I chose this recipe, but decided to omit the honey because it was only a test.

This is so good it's frightening. I'm not kidding. After drinking one 500 ml beer, I crave having another one so bad that it feels wrong. What am I going to do?

Sincerely : Confused in Canada

Dear Confused:

Relax.. Don't Worry..Have Another Homebrew!

since you keg... crash cool it and keg it. you can even use gelatin right before crash cooling to get it as clear as possible. or if you're like me, just crash cool and keg. a little extra yeast is good for ya :)

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I know this one's going to kick fast. I should brew another batch on that cake.

So I brewed this up on Saturday the 4th. Probably one of the best brew days I've had in a while, weather was perfect, brewday went exactly as planned, I hit all my numbers dead on and even got to enjoy a good cigar while doing it. My recipe was pretty much exactly as the OP's with the exceptions of only having half the melanoiden - subbed other half honey malt; and I used Magnum for bittering and split the late addition half/half with cascade and willamette. I also added a pound of Breiss Smoked Malt and upped the 2-row to increase the ABV just a bit. My goal was to have a slightly smokey irish red ale that would go great with some BBQ. I used the same cali ale yeast and near the end of fermentation upped the temp from 70 to 72 for a few days, and swirled the fermentor a bit as my original FG was 1.015 a bit high from my goal. I just checked today after 3 days at 72 and the yeast brought it down to 1.010, thats 84% attenuation from 1.064 starting point!!

It's not carbed up yet, but it's mighty tasty. Getting ready to cold crash and clear up with some gelatin then I'll keg it up. Pretty excited that this might be ready for halloween.

Thanks to OP for a great recipe.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413599479.346387.jpg

9months old clear as day and so good

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Mine is five months old, it keeps getting better with age. It is a very nicely balanced beer, defiantly a keeper recipe, thank Mystic!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just brewed this as my first all grain and 3rd beer brewed. Followed the OP's recipe and got around 90% efficiency and OG of 1.058 before adding the honey. Thanks for the recipe. Look forward to sharing pictures and comments on how it turns out.

I cant get Caraaroma and was wondering what i could sub in for it. Right now im thinking of 1lb Dark Crystal and 4oz of Carafa 1

Just went into bottles. This is the left over. Beautiful red colour and very tasty after three weeks. Thanks for the wonderful recipe and making my first ag brew a success.

Beautiful beer ya got there! Glad I was able to help you step into the world of AG brewing. I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg for you.

Going to try my first BIAB with this, after doing 4-5 extract kits. I took this recipe to the local brew house and came back with this:

Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Crystal 10 (sub for Caraaroma)
0.50 lb Carapils (sub for) Carafoam
0.50 lb Victory (sub for Melanoiden Malt)
1.00 oz Crystal
1.00 oz Cascade
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

for the honey, I just can pick up a lb of something at the grocery store?

You guys mind double checking my process?

Heat up water for full 5g boil to 162, then place grains in bag, stir, cover and let sit for an hour (try to keep temp around 152 or so). Then "mash out" and heat to around 168 and then remove the grain bag. Then bring to boil and process at normal? With the crystal hops going in at 60 minutes and then the cascade going in at 30 min. At the end of the hour boil, stir in the honey, cool, and ferment as normal?

Going to try my first BIAB with this, after doing 4-5 extract kits. I took this recipe to the local brew house and came back with this:

Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.00 lb Crystal 10 (sub for Caraaroma)
0.50 lb Carapils (sub for) Carafoam
0.50 lb Victory (sub for Melanoiden Malt)
1.00 oz Crystal
1.00 oz Cascade
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

for the honey, I just can pick up a lb of something at the grocery store?

You guys mind double checking my process?

Heat up water for full 5g boil to 162, then place grains in bag, stir, cover and let sit for an hour (try to keep temp around 152 or so). Then "mash out" and heat to around 168 and then remove the grain bag. Then bring to boil and process at normal? With the crystal hops going in at 60 minutes and then the cascade going in at 30 min. At the end of the hour boil, stir in the honey, cool, and ferment as normal?

by subbing both carraoma and melanoiden that took out the red from the beer. crystal 120 is a sub for carraoma not crystal 10. what you'll have is a very tasty beer by the time its done, but it won't be the same beer.

now, here's how you need to do this BIAB (I do about 95% of mine as BIAB).
water needed. absorption + oil off + batch size + trub loss = water needed. absorption can be determined by weight of grains in lbs * 0.06 =absorption. In this case you have 10 lbs of grain 10*0.06 =.60 gallons absorption.

the for a 5 gallon batch at the end of fermentation, shoot for 5.5 gallons in the carboy. account that extra .5 gallons to trub loss.

5+.60+.5+ boil off= water needed. as an example, boil off of 1.25 gallon in an hour. 5+.6+.5+1.25= 7.35 gallons of water needed. heat that amount (round up to 7.5 gallons) to approx 158-160F. put bag in kettle, add crushed grains. stir like crazy to make sure there are no dough balls and to help distribute the heat evenly. once at 152F, put the lid on, wrap the kettle in blankets, old sleeping bags anything that will insulate it. then walk away for 90 minutes. don't touch it. don't stir it. don't adjust the heat. just walk away. after 90 minutes, stir the grains, pull the bag and squeeze as much wort out as you can.

then boil like any other beer. add the hops as the recipe says. at flame out add the honey. stir to make sure it gets dissolved. if you use a hop sack (always a good idea) then after chilling, dump it all into the carboy. pitch the yeast and wait. if no hop sack was used (why not?) then whirlpool to get the hot and cold break to collect in the center and then rack to the carboy.

what you'll end up with is a great tasting beer. the brew day will take you about 4 hours start to finish (including cleanup)

thanks for the detailed reply. Great info. I have to say, though, I'm a bit bummed about losing the red color. I was excited for that. The shop pulled out a book which listed what grains they had sub'd for what I had listed.

Can I harm the recipe if I go back and get a lb of crystal 120? Does that just up my OG a little? Maybe a little more water to get to a 5.5g batch size to even that out? Or so I risk messing up the whole deal by doing something like this?

thanks for the detailed reply. Great info. I have to say, though, I'm a bit bummed about losing the red color. I was excited for that. The shop pulled out a book which listed what grains they had sub'd for what I had listed.

Can I harm the recipe if I go back and get a lb of crystal 120? Does that just up my OG a little? Maybe a little more water to get to a 5.5g batch size to even that out? Or so I risk messing up the whole deal by doing something like this?

you can add it in, but if you did I would skip the honey. it's going to be plenty strong as it is :) I'd say brew it as is. enjoy the beer. while not an Irish Red it'll be closer to a pale ale and should be quite a nice beer.

About my 5th time making this recipe, has always been a success.

This time however, i have 10g of beer that has a 'wet paper' taste to it.

Any ideas?

Just bought grain, hops and yeast for this along with supplies to build my 60qt cooler mash tun and 20' counterflow chiller hoping to combine it all for a successful test batch...

If this turns out great then ill be brewing it again for st. Pattys day

Forgot to mention, I accidentally bought a pound of honey malt instead of honey syrup...not sure if there's a way of making that ok

the honey malt will leave a sweetness you might not want. Honey will actually dry it out so they dont do the same thing. Not saying it wont be a good beer but they are very different things.

Well the honey malt got milled with the other grist at my lhbs so I suppose I don't have much choice now.

No worries, guess I'm just exprrimenting

What would you guys use as a substitute for the Crystal hops (Brewmaster's Warehouse is out of those right now)? Mt. Hood (4.4% AA), Hallertau (4.1% AA), Liberty (5.8% AA)? I also have some Magnum in the freezer if that would work, because then I wouldn't have to buy any hops. And then would I just adjust the amount in Brewsmith in order to get the same IBUs in the 60 minute boil as the original recipe?

Also, for those having trouble finding the "Melanoiden" on the Brewmaster's Warehouse website, it is listed as "Melanoidin". Not sure which spelling is correct.

What would you guys use as a substitute for the Crystal hops (Brewmaster's Warehouse is out of those right now)? Mt. Hood (4.4% AA), Hallertau (4.1% AA), Liberty (5.8% AA)? I also have some Magnum in the freezer if that would work, because then I wouldn't have to buy any hops. And then would I just adjust the amount in Brewsmith in order to get the same IBUs in the 60 minute boil as the original recipe?

Also, for those having trouble finding the "Melanoiden" on the Brewmaster's Warehouse website, it is listed as "Melanoidin". Not sure which spelling is correct.

I would sub ultra or willamette for crystal. As afar as the spelling of the malt. Both seem correct it just depends on who packaged it. It's the same either way :)

Just doughed in for the first time with this recipe, also the first time since I added my cpvc manifold to my mlt...up until this point its only been tested with water...smells fantastic Im probably ruining the mash because I keep opening the cooler to smell that sweet grain

View attachment 1420294605866.jpg

Just doughed in for the first time with this recipe, also the first time since I added my cpvc manifold to my mlt...up until this point its only been tested with water...smells fantastic Im probably ruining the mash because I keep opening the cooler to smell that sweet grain

I did that too. This was my first all grain and my first non kit beer. Kept opening my mash tun because it smelled so great. Beer still turned out amazing. Just today hit the 6 week mark since brewing and only have a few bottles left. 😢 Sure yours will be great too.

I did that too. This was my first all grain and my first non kit beer. Kept opening my mash tun because it smelled so great. Beer still turned out amazing. Just today hit the 6 week mark since brewing and only have a few bottles left. 😢 Sure yours will be great too.

Wow I was figuring 6 weeks until starting on the bottles....did u just go 2-3 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in bottle? Was half considering the old 1-2-3 time frame

Wow I was figuring 6 weeks until starting on the bottles....did u just go 2-3 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in bottle? Was half considering the old 1-2-3 time frame

2 weeks in fermenter and after 10 days in the bottle I have been sampling bottles quite frequently. I don't know how anyone can wait weeks to drink their beer. I am not a patient person I guess. But can confirm it tastes much better after some ageing. I am a noob to making beer so enjoyed noticing how the beer changed with time.

Tell me about it...I saved two bottles of pumpkin ale until they were in the bottle 8 weeks and trust me it was hard

Anybody substitute honey malt with the honey or brewed without the honey? Any differences?

I used honey malt instead of honey, however you'll have to wait for a conclusion as I just brewed tonight, the wort coming out of the MLT tasted great, but I broke my hydrometer so I can't even give u an o.g. reading to compare

Anybody substitute honey malt with the honey or brewed without the honey? Any differences?

I've brewed it without honey several times... I only included the honey to boost the ABV a little and help dry it out a bit. it's so little that you really don't taste it. honey malt might give you a beer that is a little less dry. not a bad thing mind you. It'll be great either way.

Great, thanks! I was thinking of subbing .50 of honey malt for the pound of honey. It will be a bit sweeter but darker...I hope not to dark I want red not brown.

Great, thanks! I was thinking of subbing .50 of honey malt for the pound of honey. It will be a bit sweeter but darker...I hope not to dark I want red not brown.

I used a pound of honey malt and the vorlauf and in the siphon tube it still looked red...just can't get over how impatient I am with this one....

It's like my first brew all over again

Latest posts

Back