wiring a 240V heater to a Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianNorth

Reaction score
Help me out here.

I am very familiar with household 120v wiring, but have not worked with 240v much.

On several pages, I see that people have three wires coming to the kettle, two hot, and one grounded to the kettle.

However, how does this relate to the Panel? With a three prong dryer plug, are there two hot and one ground, but no neutral? Don't we still use neutrals in a 240 curcuit?

NOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right.

I was confused because I had heard reference to 4 pin and 3 pin dryer cords, and I thought there might need to be a neutral (although now that I think about how 240 works, I realize my mistake).

Whats a GFI? KIDDING!!! My is ordered and on the way. I love beer, but I don't want to die for it!

A standard 3-prong dryer plug/receptacle is called a NEMA 10-30. These are classified as hot/hot/neutral. There is not proper and separate ground.

Your dryer had some parts (heater) that use 240V and some parts (lights) that use only 120V.

The body of the dryer is bonded to the neutral.

At least, this is how it's SUPPOSED to be done.

A standard 3-prong dryer plug/receptacle is called a NEMA 10-30. These are classified as hot/hot/neutral. There is not proper and separate ground.

Your dryer had some parts (heater) that use 240V and some parts (lights) that use only 120V.

The body of the dryer is bonded to the neutral.

At least, this is how it's SUPPOSED to be done.

Thanks Walker.

It seems that the 10-30 is the standard for brewing, correct?

I don't think there is any "standard".

Most of us who help with design questions probably prefer NEMA 14 over NEMA 10. The "14" has 4-wires for hot/hot/neutral/ground.

I use a 14-50 plus/receptacle. 4-wire design and 50 amps, which is fairly common for 'lectric stoves.

Back