Impromptu Blow-off tube...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
Last night at 1am i pitched 1 packet of safale 04 into an og 1.062 beer, and this morning i had kreusen in my my airlock, so i rigged this ghetto blow-off tube, does it look ok? (i dont have a carboy cap, or any wider diameter tubing)

It empties into a weak iodophor solution, its bubbling ok, and seems to be working.

You already expressed the concern over the small diameter... keep an eye on it. It could very easily get clogged just as an air lock would. :cross: Go get some 1" tubing. Fits perfect in the carboy.

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
You already expressed the concern over the small diameter... keep an eye on it. It could very easily get clogged just as an air lock would. :cross: Go get some 1" tubing. Fits perfect in the carboy.

I will...is it 1 inch outside diameter, or inside? Just then stick that bugger in the carboy right?

The one inch works perfect...but I rigged a ghetto blow off just like yours about a month ago and it worked fine. As long as it's only blowing cO2 and some foam, I think it's fine.

Monk said:
The one inch works perfect...but I rigged a ghetto blow off just like yours about a month ago and it worked fine. As long as it's only blowing cO2 and some foam, I think it's fine.

yeah its doing good...i knew having six racking canes would come in handy some day!, im just gonna switch em out every few hours or so, they should be allright. from what i read this yeast (safale 04) ferments fast, so im thinking the kreusen will drop by tommorow...Its definitely a good sign. Ive never used dry yeast, and got paranoid and ordered another pack, but impatience won over and i brewed it using only one and now its fermenting its arse off!

i got home from work and checked on the beer, and my 2-qt pyrex was full of blow-off crap. (1 qt was water/bleach) So i went to dump it it out, and it smelled like good beer, and i thought about taking a sip, but then remembered there was bleach in there, so i just dumped it.

I've already made my 1 bleach joke today... someone else step up to the plate. ;)

Glad things are well with the brew! :mug:

Ize

Back