De Koninck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenhead

Reaction score
Hey all,

I must have lost the BYO issue but does anyone have a recipe for the De Koninck clone?

thanks
Todd

Jamil's recipe from the June issue isn't a perfect DeKoninck clone but it's a good Belgian Pale Ale. I have a keg which is about kicked.

For 75% Brewhouse:

10# Belgian Pils
12oz Caramunich
4oz Biscuit

4 AAU Saaz 60
4 AAU Saaz 15

I used WY3522 because the DeKoninck strain wasn't in season.

Last weekend I brewed a DeKoninck clone from DeathBrewer with a few tweaks and pitched WLP515 into it, it should be really close:

9# Belgian Pils
1# Caravienne
8oz Biscuit
8oz Flaked Oats
4oz Aromatic

4 AAU Saaz 60
2 AAU Saaz 30
2 AAU Saaz 15

Here's a partial mash conversion of DeathBrewer's DeKoninck clone. Sub 12oz Caramunich and 4oz Biscuit for the specialty grains and you have JZ's BYO recipe in minimash form.

4.5# Extra light DME or 5.5# Pilsner LME
2# Belgian Pils
1# Caravienne
8oz Biscuit
8oz Flaked Oats
4oz Aromatic

4 AAU Saaz 60
2 AAU Saaz 30
2 AAU Saaz 15

Mash grains in steeping bag at 155*F for 60 minutes. Boil for 30 minutes, then start adding hops. Add extract with the last hop addition (15 minutes left in boil) being careful to avoid scorching.

WLP515 (Sept/Oct platinum) is the DeKoninck yeast strain, use it if you can get it! I'm planning on washing my primary cake.

nice, i didn't even have to post :D

i used the WLP550 in most of my belgians. it gives a cleaner flavor and IMO is perfect for any belgian pale.

the "deconinck clone" i made was not intended to be a clone, but it tasted EXACTLY like de koninck after a few weeks of aging in the keg. it was a little over 1% higher alcohol, too ;)

don't have the original recipe with me and can't seem to find it on the forums, but i'll post from home if i remember.

Crazy not 2 days ago Grape and Granary had some Antwerp Belgian yeast, now it's gone.

Here was DeathBrewer's original recipe. I had written it down in my brew notes. As I recall this isn't what he brewed but what he said he would do if he re-brewed it.

9# Belgian Pils
12oz Caravienne
12oz Biscuit
8oz Flaked oats
4oz Aromatic

4 AAU Fuggles 60
2 AAU Goldings 30
2 AAU Saaz 30
2 AAU Saaz 15

I swapped 4oz of biscuit for more caravienne since I thought that was too much biscuit but I don't want to lighten the color. I used all Saaz hops because DeKoninck uses 100% Saaz.

Thanks all,

The wife and I have been going to the new brewery/brew pub in town and this is one of her favorite new beers. So this weekend I will attempt to duplicate.

Thanks
Todd

Here's a partial mash conversion of DeathBrewer's DeKoninck clone. Sub 12oz Caramunich and 4oz Biscuit for the specialty grains and you have JZ's BYO recipe in minimash form.

4.5# Extra light DME or 5.5# Pilsner LME
2# Belgian Pils
1# Caravienne
8oz Biscuit
8oz Flaked Oats
4oz Aromatic

4 AAU Saaz 60
2 AAU Saaz 30
2 AAU Saaz 15

Mash grains in steeping bag at 155*F for 60 minutes. Boil for 30 minutes, then start adding hops. Add extract with the last hop addition (15 minutes left in boil) being careful to avoid scorching.

WLP515 (Sept/Oct platinum) is the DeKoninck yeast strain, use it if you can get it! I'm planning on washing my primary cake.

Thanks for the partial mash conversion I can't wait to drink it. I hate watting:tank: Do you remember what you got for you OG my reading was 1.054. Comparing it to the original recipe the brew went well.

I just brewed this for the second time and was wondering if anyones FG reading was 1.022. Both of my batches ended up here. The first I used champagne yeast to bring the FG a little lower but this time I am thinking of just leaving it alone. Does anyone have an opinion? The first batch was with 550 and the second was 515.

Back