Best Podcasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
What are the best podcasts or video podcasts for a new brewer to listen to/watch?

I've been looking around and have listened to a couple, but I think it would be great to see someone doing their sanitation schedule, how they put in pellet hops, AG, etc.

Thanks!

I really like Basic Brewing Radio and also the Jamil Show (google it). Both are great for beginners like me.

+1 The Jamil Show: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php

Every episode covers a different style and includes an award winning recipe. I just started listening to them, and I am literally going through all of them, starting at the beginning. Even the ones that are on styles that may not interest you have lots of great information, never mind that they are pretty entertaining...

I have been working my way through all of the basic brewing episodes. He has a lot of really good interviews and covers a very broad range of topics.

I listen to the Jamil show every time a new one comes out and when I plan on brewing a beer in that style... also sometimes just when I'm bored. It's just chock full of information and tips.

I haven't made a dedicated effort to listen to basic brewing radio, but I haven't found nearly the same level of information in it... maybe I'm just listening to the wrong episodes.

I will say... listening to Jamil makes homebrewing seem so drastic some times--- he says it once in a while but not often enough that nothing has to be nearly as serious as he makes it, and that he is pushing for controllable perfection on top of perfectlyt matching BJCP style guides, and that everything can be much simpler, and nothing is nearly as drastuc seeming as it sometimes sounds...

So i listen and get lots of good advice and it gets me interested and excited to brew, and then i follow his advice the best i can, but i dont stress out when i need to not be quite as perfect as he is... i just note where, how and why i change things, be it ingredients or process, most likely the latter, and then I determine the results of that change...

I will say... listening to Jamil makes homebrewing seem so drastic some times--- he says it once in a while but not often enough that nothing has to be nearly as serious as he makes it, and that he is pushing for controllable perfection on top of perfectlyt matching BJCP style guides, and that everything can be much simpler, and nothing is nearly as drastuc seeming as it sometimes sounds...
I think this is really important to remember... a lot of the stuff people talk about will improve your beer, but if you don't do it, or you try to do it and screw something up, most of the time you'll still get decent beer out of it.

Except sanitation!

Adding this to this thread, since it already contains the links to the other two podcasts.

The oldest podcast, which also actually started as a radio show is Craftbrewer Radio out of Australia. The hosts have combined 60 years of experience and really know their stuff. And often they take unconventional views of things, and have done some interesting things including using a large amount of regular wheat flour in their wheat beers. They's also covered stein beers (hot stone beers.)

I don't always agree with their take on some things like HSA....but I respect them..plus I dig the aussie Twang.

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/

All of The Brewing Network's podcasts are great. The Sunday Session runs a bit long if you're not into a bit of playground humor.

i've always used the Brewing Networks podcasts when looking for something to listen to, but sometimes they go into quite a bit of detail that isn't easy to follow if you arent fully intent on listening.

Thanks for the other options, i'll have to add a few more to my list

+1 for basicbrewing podcasts and video podcasts. I get a kick out of them too.

I may be tempted to check out their lagering video at some point in the future.

Back