Sun Dried Tomatoes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love Italian cooking, especially anything with sun dried tomatoes. There's chili beer, fruit beer, pumpkin ale, etc. What about Sun Dried Tomatoe Ale?

Let me know what you think...

Trying to get a picture in my mind what it would taste like...... nothing is comming up actually... I am guessing in order to taste something as delecate as tomatoe you could not use a lot of hops.

Interesting, I'm thinking that if the tomatoes are boiled for 10 minutes and then minced they would release a lot of the oils that contain flavor. Maybe even throw some in to replace aroma hops at the end of the boil?

I'm intrigued by that idea. I would think you would want to do a lighter bodied beer, possibly a lager. Maybe you would want to throw them in the secondary? If you try it, let us know what it tastes like. Points for originality.:rockin:

I think that it sounds interesting as far as flavors go. Think of it as a goumet " red beer". I think that you could have issues brewing it, as a store bought sundries tomato is going to have 1.5 ****loads of salt in it. (Salt kills yeast.) The other issue is that tomatoes are high in citric acid, and this will kill yeast as well. I suppose you could cook up a batch of wort, allow it to ferment, and then add it in the secondary to allow the flavor, ( and the color) of the tomatoes to steep. Then, put the batch in a keg, and force carbonate. HTH, Jeff

I think you're going to need a decent amount of tomatoes to be able to taste anything in a batch of beer.

I'd do some tests with half gallons of water. Boil certain amounts of the tomatoes and taste to see how many toms it took.

The intense flavors of sun dried tomatoes depends on them being dried. Once you re-hydrate, you've lost that. I think this is a little like adding chocolate to ales, sounds great, but making it work would be tough.

Latest posts

Back