Munich Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuPuma

Reaction score
I just got the book Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff, and it's GREAT. One oddity, however, is that many recipes call for Munich malt extract. My LHBS doesn't carry it, and I've found a few online places that have Weyermann's 100% Munich Amber LME, but for around $45 for 8.8 lbs. Does anyone have a good source for 100% Munich LME (or DME, if it exists)?

Note: I've searched quite a bit for a topic like this, and have visited many of the websites listed above, but haven't been very successful.

Thank you in advance.

DuPuma said:
$45 for 8.8 lbs.

That is rather expensive. Last year you were able to get a 55lb bag of Weyermann Munich malt for that price.

Have you thought about going AG yet? Doesn't really help with your initial question, but might be worth a shot if you need to pay $45 for malt extract. For that money you should be able to build a Denny-style MLT.

Kai

Kaiser said:
That is rather expensive. Last year you were able to get a 55lb bag of Weyermann Munich malt for that price.

Have you thought about going AG yet? Doesn't really help with your initial question, but might be worth a shot if you need to pay $45 for malt extract. For that money you should be able to build a Denny-style MLT.

Kai

Alas, I am an apartment brewer now, and moving into Chicago in 5 months. I don't anticipate having the space for it.

But I appreciate your comment. I'll look around at how people do AG in apartments, and see if I can convince SWMBO to let me try it.

For the time being, anyone know where I can get cheaper Munich LME?

ah, another soon to be chicago brewer.
city or burbs?
6lbs for 15.99 at northernbrewer.com

SRFeldman79 said:
ah, another soon to be chicago brewer.
city or burbs?
6lbs for 15.99 at northernbrewer.com

City, which will undoubtedly inhibit my two favorite hobbies: golf and homebrewing. On the other hand, I will have a good job, so you win some, lose some.

DuPuma said:
Alas, I am an apartment brewer now, and moving into Chicago in 5 months. I don't anticipate having the space for it.

But I appreciate your comment. I'll look around at how people do AG in apartments, and see if I can convince SWMBO to let me try it.

For the time being, anyone know where I can get cheaper Munich LME?

You don't need to go AG, but you could at least mini-mash the munich you need... A lot of people do this in apartment brewing. It can be done on the stove-top in a stock pot with a strainer bag or you can build a 2.5g MLT from an Igloo cooler for pretty darn cheap.

Not to mention there are other grains that need mashing (Vienna for example?) and there is no extract version for (or at least that are readily available and cheap)... If nothing else, it will save you some money on buying all that extract all the time b/c you could mash some regular 2 row along with specialty grains.

For $16 for 6lb of extract though, go for it if thats going to be your approach...

Back