Football SUICIDE/SURVIVAL League.... (with a nice prize)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restart on week 2?

• Yup - reset, start with week 2, pay to play

• Hells no - Bird, you effed up!

Results are only viewable after voting.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, in addition to a couple of Fantasy Leagues, and Dude's thing, let's do a SUICIDE LEAGUE!

I just learned how these work, I've never heard of one before, but they're pretty damn sweet.

In week one, everyone picks a team that they KNOW is going to win. Doesn't matter which game; could be the Colts beating the Saints, could be Minnessota beating Atlanta. Doesn't matter. Everyone could pick the same game if they wanted. If your team wins, you're alive to play the following week. If they lose - you're done, kaput, for the season, watch from the sidelines.

In week 2, everyone who picked a winning team in week 1 does it again - but with the caveat that you can never again pick the same team twice in the season. If you picked Indy in week one, you can never pick them again all season. Now, when they play New England, you could (and should ;)) pick the Pats, but once you've picked a team, you're done with them.

The last person standing wins a prize - which I propose is a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias. We'll all chip in a certain amount at the end of the season to fund the purchase, based on the number of players we have (we ought to have at least fifteen or twenty, to start).

Who's in? :D

EDIT: Ok, it's "Survival," not "Suicide" (hey, got bad info from another forum... last time I trust a bunch of non-drunks ;)). It's on Yahoo!, group name "HBT Survival", password "beer".

This is gonna be too easy. Just pick GB's opponent every week. I guess the going gets tough when they play a team twice...

*ducks*

:p ;)

Yooper Chick said:
I've done a pool like this the last two years- love it! Prepare to get your butts whipped by a woman!

I won the one I was in last year too. I think we made it 7 weeks.

(Check my trophy case if you don't believe me. :p )

Dude said:
I won the one I was in last year too. I think we made it 7 weeks.

(Check my trophy case if you don't believe me. :p )

Pshaw- 7 weeks. I made it 12! Still, didn't win the $1500- they actually went 15 weeks. I couldn't believe it. I should be able to beat you guys, though.....................GAME ON!

Bernie Brewer said:
Why Yoops, I always wondered if you were kinda kinky...........:D

Wrong forum for this discussin, Bernie.........but don't you remember my Spank Me Red Ale last fall?

Thanks for setting this up, Bird! Now, who else is in?

Do people like the idea of the Utopias as a prize? I don't know the logistics of how that would work, but it's such a natural "trophy"...

the_bird said:
Do people like the idea of the Utopias as a prize? I don't know the logistics of how that would work, but it's such a natural "trophy"...

That sounds great. It's the best shot of me ever getting a Utopia in my hands.

Dude said:
:D .

Do we have an "ignore" feature here??? ;)

Yeah, Dude, I hear that you like Green Bay or something. Not sure where I got that. Something about a shrine? :D

I'm in on this one too, Birdman. :mug:

Here's hoping that I make it past week three this year. Last year I picked Atl in week 3. They got destroyed by NO 23-3. Yikes.

There was a problem

* The password is incorrect. (Error #109)
* The league is not in pre-draft mode. (Error #209)

Still open?

Nope, looks like it's still open. ID is "20042", password "beer".

If we don't get twenty peeps, I'm thinking we scale back the prize.

Well, could I make a suggestion? Since it's a survival league, some of us (probably me) will be out right away. Not that I don't trust you all, but how about we send in our money now, before some of us are out? If we wait, it might be hard to collect from us those who are out the first week or two.

What do you guys think?

Well, I just don't want to run into a situation where I can't find a place to buy Utopias and have everyone's money. Let me do a little research. I think my wife has a paypal account that money could be sent to, as well, I need to talk to her.

Back