Oyster Stout, the picture says it all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diverpat

Reaction score
I brewed the BYO Black Pearl Oyster Stout, this seems like a perfectly normal ingredient. My brother in law does a Feast of Seven Fishes every Christmas, he jokingly asked for a beer with seafood in it, he'll either be stoked or horrified.

6a1OJl.jpg

There's a nano brewery in Asheville (located in a seafood restaurant) that brews an oyster stout - I always just assumed they used just the shells as a calcium addition to the water. Maybe they add actual oysters too? Curious to see how this turns out.

I'm gonna try both of those fine suggestions!!!

Ha actually stick a bunch of oysters and EKG in there, I bet it would be pretty good! That would be so badass if a bar did that, first beer would be so money.

I had a delicious oyster stout at The Porterhouse brew pub in Dublin over the summer, that was brewed with oysters.

From their website:

Oyster Stout

Alcohol by volume: 4.8%

Grain: Pale Malt, Roast Barley, Black Malt, Flaked Barley.

Hops: Galena, Nugget, East Kent Goldings.

Brewed with fresh oyster. A smooth drinking aromatic stout with a discernible but unidentifiable aromatic aspect. Not suitable for vegetarians.

my buddy actually enetered an oyster stout in sam adams longshot comp this year. how much oyster did you use? he used 16-20 oz(cant remember right now) judges said to use more oyseter on the next batch.

let us know how it turns out. I personally was not a big fan. but that is what makes this cool different storkes for different folks.

my buddy actually enetered an oyster stout in sam adams longshot comp this year. how much oyster did you use? he used 16-20 oz(cant remember right now) judges said to use more oyseter on the next batch.

I only used 10 oz in 5.5 gallons based on the recipe. I also added 1tsp of calcium carbonate to the mash to simulate shells, who knows if that is enough to make difference. I'll let you know how it turns out in about 1.5 months.

I think it sounds disgusting. ... and people say Reinheitsgebot is a bad idea! :mad: Pfft

I am making my house stout tomorrow, and throwing in a dozen of the biggest oysters a local chef could get me, shells and all. I do not think I am going to chuck them, being that they will open up during the boil. Or should I?

stanzela said:
Chuck them, like, at a wall? That might open them up, but shucking should get you better results.

Chuck the oysters in the garbage, then just brew a stout....yummy

I've thought about brewing a beer and using Oyster Sauce in it, but never thought about using actual oysters. I grew up near Seattle .. I'm drooling just thinking about an oyster stout and oysters soaked in wort!! I brewed a bacon pale ale awhile back and ever since I've wanted to do another meat-beer. I've considered a smoked salmon smoke beer .. but didn't have the time to snag salmon during the run this year )-:

The Green Dragon has an Oyster Stout on deck right now. I'd imagine they will release it on Thursday like they do most weeks. Just an FYI for those in Portland wanting to try this on a commercial level.

Here's a Brewing TV episode of brewing an Oyster Stout. This episode follows Lift Bridges Brewing on brew day and first pour. They say it adds an essence of the 'sea' to your beer, obviously salt is one component of that profile. Personally I'd prefer eating the oysters with a just a plain old run of mill stout, than dump them in wort.

Episode 48 - The World's Your Oyster Stout

This stuff is actually coming along quite well. It's been in the bottle for two weeks so its not quite ready yet. It needs 2 more weeks.

I can't really tell what the oysters are adding to the flavor, at most a little saltiness but not much. I really like it, it should compliment our seafood Christmas dinner nicely! :rockin: I almost wish I would have added the shells also, just to go all out. To all those who find this repulsive, it's more of a mental hurdle then a flavor one with this beer.

I've had a bottle of Harpoon Oyster Stout in my fridge for awhile now, might just have to crack it open this weekend to try it out.

The recipe looks pretty straigt forward and simple. Thinking maybe trying a higher ABV brew could be nice since I doubt I would treat it like a session beer.

Here's a Brewing TV episode of brewing an Oyster Stout. This episode follows Lift Bridges Brewing on brew day and first pour. They say it adds an essence of the 'sea' to your beer, obviously salt is one component of that profile. Personally I'd prefer eating the oysters with a just a plain old run of mill stout, than dump them in wort.

Episode 48 - The World's Your Oyster Stout

I'm surprised this is just now getting posted. I was going to but you beat me to it!

Back