How to keep cooking temperature constant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheldon123

Reaction score
I am currently brewing my first batch of beer and had a somewhat difficult time keeping the temperature constant when boiling the wort. I am using a standard indoor gas stove. Does anyone have any tips on how I may bring something to a certain temperature and continue to keep it cooking at around that same temperature?

I think I actually meant the mash. I am using a kit for my first brew and the instructions cook the mash for 60 minutes at 155 degrees F. I can bring the mash to that temperature and lower the heat, but it seems to just continue to get hotter. What can I do to keep this at a constant temperature?

I think I actually meant the mash. I am using a kit for my first brew and the instructions cook the mash for 60 minutes at 155 degrees F. I can bring the mash to that temperature and lower the heat, but it seems to just continue to get hotter. What can I do to keep this at a constant temperature?

Try bringing the mash up to 155, then shut off the heat. check it every 15 minutes or so, and when the mash gets down close to 145, kick the heat back on.

The ideal temp is around 152, but if you are off a few degrees either direction it really doesn't matter too much. Also, after you kill the heat, wrap a towel or something around the pot and it will hold temp much better.:mug:

Are you mashing or using steeping grains? Does your grist include some base malt like 2-row? The reason I ask is that a lot of new guys have kits or instructions for an extract with steeping grains recipe. That's not a whole lot different than actually doing a partial mash but there are differences. I am also assuming here that you are using extracts. Could you post the recipe?

Latest posts

Back