First batch of wine, yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tesla_HV

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've posted some in the beer section but this past weekend I started my first batch of wine. It is a Selection Chardonnay kit. My question has to do with the yeast. It came with only one pack of dry yeast (Red Star- Premier Cuvee). The instructions on the yeast pack says that it is for up to five gallons. The kit instructions said to fill the fermentation bucket up to the six gallon mark. So is adding only one packet of yeast under-pitching? I thought that it might be so I had a package of EC-1118 that I use to beer bottling priming so I added a portion of that package to the Red Star. It was a 'under-the-gun' decision since the fermentation bucket was already full when I read the yeast directions. Did I do ok or will the addition of EC-1118 ruin the taste of the wine?
Thanks

Both are very similar and both are very competitive. Usually one wine yeast will crowd out the other but both should produce the same effect. For the remainder of the kit you should follow the instructions exactly as they're written and you'll have a tasty Chardonnay in about a year. Deviate from the instructions and you may have a less than satisfactory wine.

Back