Need more mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
How do brewers of stouts get that "chewy" mouthfeel? I tasted my oatmeal stout, now in the bottle for two weeks, and it seems a little thin. My stout has good aroma and taste. I just wished it tasted a little thicker. I thought that the oatmeal was supposed to contribute to this attribute. Should I add maltodextrin or flaked barley to my next batch? I know that two weeks in the bottle isn't a whole lot. Will more time contribute to mouthfeel?

Recipe: Extract partial boil
5.75 lb light DME
1/2 lb Breiss Caramel 60
1/2 lb Fawcett Chocolate (365)
1/2 lb Flaked oats (used instant oats)
3 oz Roasted Barley
2 oz East Kent Goldings 4.25 AA (60)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast fermented at 68F

Priming 1 1/4 cup wheat DME (I used corn sugar). What effect, if any, would using the wheat DME for priming have?

now in the bottle for two weeks

This is the part that caught my eye, so yes to your question. Two weeks isn't long enough, I bet if you try another one in a week or so, and then in a month or so, you'll be pleasantly surprised about the change in mouthfeel.

carapils adds mouthfeel or something like wheat or choclt malt I thnk also add alot of mouthfeel. Mashing at a higher temp could help even for a partial mash i would think

For a stout, flaked barley, oats, carapils, carafoam are all great because they aid in mouthfeel and head retention.

Yeast strains can make a difference. The Irish yeast is moderate attenuator. A yeast that doesn't attenuate as well should improve the mouthfeel. Also any other steps you can take to keep attentuation on the low side (ie slower fermentation) can help too.

is it fully carbonated after that two weeks? carbonation will thicken up the mouthfeel.

I'm assuming from your recipe that you just steeped the oats? I didn't see anything in your bill with any diastatic power, so even if you did a mini-mash, you didn't convert anything in the oats.
What I don't know is whether the mouthfeel that oats supposedly contribute requires mashing or if steeping alone will do it. Anybody?

Not really fully carbonated, but where I expect it should be. It'll need some time as I expected. A lot of things improve with aging, just wondered about that nice firm mouthfeel that robust stouts have. May have to settle with the thinner kind until next batch.

Thanks for all the comments

Back