Spot the mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
OK, saw this today and had to share...
Spot the mistake in the following picture

Monteiths-IPA-tap-badge.jpg

Anyone else got an example of beer marketing gone wrong?

35 IBU is even below the English IPA range... Assuming it's an English IPA to begin with. Which would make the spelling 100% correct on there, so no error.

35 IBU is even below the English IPA range... Assuming it's an English IPA to begin with. Which would make the spelling 100% correct on there, so no error.

I'm pretty sure 35 IBU is also below the range for APAs! :D

Sometimes you Americans forget you're not the only country in the world .. and in fact often you're the ones who are different from everyone else. This from quick google search:

"Flavor and flavour are different spellings of the same word. Flavor is the preferred spelling in the United States, while flavour is the preferred spelling throughout the rest of the English-speaking world."

But yeah, 35 IBU's ain't no IPA.

Its because an IPA is not supposed to have "plenty of rich maltiness", its supposed to be crisp with hop flavor. I don't give a rats@s$ what country you are from, thats not an IPA.

Its because an IPA is not supposed to have "plenty of rich maltiness", its supposed to be crisp with hop flavor. I don't give a rats@s$ what country you are from, thats not an IPA.

14A - English IPA.

Actually, according to the BJCP 2008 style guide:

Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to high, with a moderate to assertive hop bitterness. The hop flavor should be similar to the aroma (floral, earthy, fruity, and/or slightly grassy). Malt flavor should be medium-low to medium-high, but should be noticeable, pleasant, and support the hop aspect. The malt should show an English character and be somewhat bready, biscuit-like, toasty, toffee-like and/or caramelly. Despite the substantial hop character typical of these beers, sufficient malt flavor, body and complexity to support the hops will provide the best balance. Very low levels of diacetyl are acceptable, and fruitiness from the fermentation or hops adds to the overall complexity. Finish is medium to dry, and bitterness may linger into the aftertaste but should not be harsh. If high sulfate water is used, a distinctively minerally, dry finish, some sulfur flavor, and a lingering bitterness are usually present. Some clean alcohol flavor can be noted in stronger versions. Oak is inappropriate in this style.

:mug:

I agree Golddiggie, "Crisp with hop flavour" makes me think of a Pilsner more than a IPA (mostly the word crisp :D)

Sometimes you Americans forget you're not the only country in the world .. and in fact often you're the ones who are different from everyone else. This from quick google search:

"Flavor and flavour are different spellings of the same word. Flavor is the preferred spelling in the United States, while flavour is the preferred spelling throughout the rest of the English-speaking world."

But yeah, 35 IBU's ain't no IPA.

I was being facetious.
I <3 the uk. Lived there a year.

Back