First AG Brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wells11

Reaction score
Planning on my first AG brew in September. Problem is I can't decide on a porter or stout?

Heh... just read an interesting take on how "porter" and "stout" can often be used to describe the same beer. Go with a recipe that is relatively simple (i.e. no starter... dry yeast, simple grain bill, fewer hop additions). that'll help you concentrate one process. Lil Sparky's Nut Brown is a good choice. I'm sure you can find an easily accessible recipe in the stout/porter categories too. Let us know what you decide!

You do realize you don't have to pick just one, right? :)

Either would be a fine place to start. Just pick a nice, medium gravity recipe and give it a shot.

I chose to do a smaller, lighter beer for my first AG (centennial blonde). The thinking was turnaround time, if I brew a stout, it could be months before I realize I have a technique problem. There are a lot more variables when switching to all grain, more than I was ready for. 5 AG batches later, I think I am finally getting a grasp on them.

I chose to do a smaller, lighter beer for my first AG (centennial blonde). The thinking was turnaround time, if I brew a stout, it could be months before I realize I have a technique problem.

I think doing a lower-gravity/sessionable beer makes a lot of sense for your first round too. But this doesn't preclude the styles you are looking at -- you could try a brown porter or a dry stout, for instance. Just poke around the recipe section and find one that has a target OG of about 1.040 or so and you'll be fine.

I look back at the notes I made during my first brew session and just laugh -- I was so high strung! Definitely glad I was working with a simple recipe and not trying to take on a RIS or something.

Good luck on your first brew!

Either would be delicious! I 2nd other opinions here to stick with a lower gravity, simple recipe first time out. Bigger beers can be difficult to get decent efficiency.

Thanks for the feedback, but I have decided on a brown ale. Looks pretty simple and low gravity.

Back