Herms resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BllShter

Reaction score
OK so I've searched a few times to try to find the generalized collective knowledge on HERMs brewing.

Is there a resource that provides recommendations (or just any data that someone has happened to record) for flow rates through (X-length) heat exchanger coils, recommended pump strength based on MLT and HLT size and capacity to ensure consistent flow of wort through grain bed or to ensure the least amount of compaction possible, temp differential between HLT and MLT depending on some fairly standard variables of vessel size and level of insulation and flow rate?

So many questions, been trying to find a solid starting point and somewhere to go from there. Only ever participated in batch sparged infusion mash sessions and trying to wrap my head around the process a bit.

I did find on a UK HERMs brewer's blog that he typically recirc's at 3 degrees C above his desired mash/step temp. Is this all sort of trial and error or is there any type of "manualized" resource?

OK so I've searched a few times to try to find the generalized collective knowledge on HERMs brewing.

Is there a resource that provides recommendations (or just any data that someone has happened to record) for flow rates through (X-length) heat exchanger coils, recommended pump strength based on MLT and HLT size and capacity to ensure consistent flow of wort through grain bed or to ensure the least amount of compaction possible, temp differential between HLT and MLT depending on some fairly standard variables of vessel size and level of insulation and flow rate?

So many questions, been trying to find a solid starting point and somewhere to go from there. Only ever participated in batch sparged infusion mash sessions and trying to wrap my head around the process a bit.

I did find on a UK HERMs brewer's blog that he typically recirc's at 3 degrees C above his desired mash/step temp. Is this all sort of trial and error or is there any type of "manualized" resource?

Here is my system. I am not sure of the flow rate, but I slowly open the valves and end up recircing at full flow for the march pump through a 50ft 1/2" stainless IC for the HERMS coil . I use a standard 12" perforatd false bottom and have not had any issues with compaction or reduced flow. I monitor temps at pump suction, HERMS outlet and in HLT. It takes about 10min for the temps to stabilize after starting the recirc. Once stable, the HERMS outlet is at x temp, pump inlet is 1-2F lower, and the HLT runs 7-8 F higher.

Awesome thanks skinny, how long would you say you take to fully open the outlet valve on your MLT once you start your recirculation?

BllShter said:
Awesome thanks skinny, how long would you say you take to fully open the outlet valve on your MLT once you start your recirculation?

Also, would you mind posting the type of heating elements you use, thanks again.

I take maybe 20-30 sec to fully open the outlet and I use off the shelf 5500w water heater elements from either lowes or home depot.

You don't want to throttle the inlet of the pump so I actually start with the MLT valve fully open, prime the march pump, open the pump outlet about 1/4 of the way, start the pump then slowly open the valve on the outlet of the pump.

Once stable, the HERMS outlet is at x temp, pump inlet is 1-2F lower, and the HLT runs 7-8 F higher.

What is the temp in your actual mash while you are recirculating, compared to the other temps? e.g. at the MLT outlet

skinny said:
You don't want to throttle the inlet of the pump so I actually start with the MLT valve fully open, prime the march pump, open the pump outlet about 1/4 of the way, start the pump then slowly open the valve on the outlet of the pump.

So if I understand correctly, you have valves mounted on your MLT and your HLT and at the outlet and inlet of your pump, is that right?

Back