Question about fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I am making an ESB and after 9 days in the primary I dry hopped and switched to the secondary. I took a hydrometer reading and it read at 1.080 at 66 degrees with a calibration for 60 degrees. The f.g. should be at 1.045.
I can't tell you the hydrometer reading when I put it in the primary because, well, I forgot to take a hydrometer reading. I'm now getting a lot of airlock activity. When it was in the primary I was harldly getting any. My questions are this:

Why all the airlock activity?

Will this second reading help me to gauge when to bottle, or should I just wait it out a couple of weeks until it hits 1.045?

If I use the 1.080 what am I looking for in the next reading?

Hope this all makes sense.

1.045 is waaaaaay too high for a finishing gravity. Hell, most brews start at 1.045. With a starting gravity that high, you probably should have left it it the primary for another week minimum to let it ferment out, but as it stands it should do what it's supposed to do in the secondary...hopefully, anyhow. I've gotten in the habit of leaving all brews in the primary for 4 weeks and leaving them alone. If they don't ferment out in that time, they never will.

How long did you dry hop for, out of curiosity?

I just put in today. I'm going to keep it as long as needed. I wonder if the recipe meant the 1.045 was supposed to be the OG instead of the FG.

Any suggestions what aim for in the FG?

6.6 pounds light malt extract
1 pound crystal malt
2 oz chocolate malt
2 oz roasted barley
2 tsp gypsum
2 oz Kent Golding (used Spalt) boiling
1 oz Fuggles (used Glacier Leaf) aroma
1 oz Fuggles (used Glacier Leaf) dry
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 package of London ESB yeast liquid (used a smack pack)

Thanks for your helpl

1 pound crystal malt
2 oz chocolate malt
2 oz roasted barley
2 tsp gypsum
1 tsp Irish Moss

Thanks for your helpl

You probably read the hydrometer wrong. theres no way that the SG was 1.080 unless you made it a 2 gallon batch. LOL how big of a batch was it?

1 pound crystal malt
2 oz chocolate malt
2 oz roasted barley
2 tsp gypsum
1 tsp Irish Moss

Thanks for your helpl

The OG should be around 1.048 or so. The FG should be around 1.014, if the yeast attenuates around 70% as expected.

Back