sanitation question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk222

Reaction score
ok ive been useing the no rince stuff for a while now and love it but its hard to come by out hear and i hate to wait for it to come in the mail and on the other hand i hate useing bleach its to hard to wash out and so on so i was wondering is there anything else that could by say at wal-mart or the hardwair store that i could use thanks

you may be able to find iodine at a pharmacy. that's a great no-rinse sanitizer and a little goes a loooooooong way.

-walker

adamk222 said:
ok ive been useing the no rince stuff for a while now and love it but its hard to come by out hear and i hate to wait for it to come in the mail and on the other hand i hate useing bleach its to hard to wash out and so on so i was wondering is there anything else that could by say at wal-mart or the hardwair store that i could use thanks
If you really can't get ahold of anything else, bleach diluted at 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons is supposedly a no-rinse sanitizing solution...this according to Papazian. Just remember that it's 2 teaspoons, no more per 5 gallons, and don't rinse.

adamk222 said:

Holy run-on sentence. Yikes. :eek:

LOL. I keep telling my kids, "Punctuation is your friend." At least a friend to the people reading it!

you may be able to find iodine at a pharmacy. that's a great no-rinse sanitizer and a little goes a loooooooong way.

Is regular iodine the same as iodophor? I was going to get some with my next HB order, but hell, if they're the same I'll just pick it up at the corner Walgreen's.

Mr_Turtlehead said:
Is regular iodine the same as iodophor? I was going to get some with my next HB order, but hell, if they're the same I'll just pick it up at the corner Walgreen's.

I am no expert here by any means, and am kind of going on some loose knowledge, but... (if anyone knows the 100% truth here, please correct anything I say that is wrong).

Iodophor is simply iodine mixed with another agent to allow it to dissolve in water. If you can find tincture of iodine at the pharmacy, I suspect that it is pretty much the same thing; an iodine liquid that, when placed in water, releases free iodine. The free iodine is a sanitizer.

The main differences will be that (according to the Wikipedia) iodophor has a longer shelf life and is gentler to the skin than a tincture of iodine.

If I am correct, ANY iodine sanitizer (tincture or iodophor) is a no-rinse sanitizer simply due to the chemical and physical properties of iodine. Specifically, iodine will sublimate.... which means it goes directly from as solid (in solution) to a gas, and thus leaves no residue behind when the equipment is left to dry.

The only thing I can't help with is how MUCH tincture of iodine you would need to use. You want to achieve a specific concentration of elemental iodine in your sanitizing solution, but you'll have to figure out yourself what the proper amount of iodine tuncture would be per gallon.

good luck!

-walker

I was having sanitary questions last time I went to the brew store myself. I got "Straight A" thinking it was a sanitizer.... I am not sure anymore... just to be safe side I used my trusted "One Step" (what I have left at any rate).

adamk222 : You know there are always alternatives. Though while you are waiting to brew your next batch and would not have to "wait" for sanitizer in the mail, I would get some. I have actually never used bleach and know it is used... and "The bible" says you can use it, but I guess I like using the stuff that I know is made and thought for what I am using it for. But certainly if I was in a position where I woudl have to "wait" for a sanitizer, hey bleach is found everywhere as well as Iondine... like everything a little knowledge of usuage goes a very long way.

Umm......Isn't Iodine like highly poisonous if ingested? At least that is what I have been told and read on the bottle.....:eek:

yes, iodine can be poisonous in LARGE amounts, but you aren't going to DRINK it!

it is diluted to something like 25 ppm when used as a sanitizer, and sublimation allows the iodone to jump off your equipment as it dries, so very VERY little iodine ends up in your vessel/beer/belly.

Relax... there is probably more iodine in iodized table salt then there is in a carboy cleaned with a properly mixed iodophor solution.

-walker

Ahhh......I wasn't saying it was bad to use, I just wasn't sure how it got from being poisonous to being okay to use.......:D

yeah, the key is "small amounts". Your body actually needs some iodine, and just about the only way we get it in our diets is via iodized table salt (or maybe from our homebrew if you use iodine to sanitize.)
:)

-walker

Iodine is an essential trace element, so drink up! (in trace amounts). That is why the add it to salt- Iodized salt, sound familiar?

But in a pinch, I guess you could use the original no-rinse technique- BOILING!

Latest posts

Back