8 Gallon Batch - 10 Gallon Kettle - (2) 5 Gallon Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've brewed a handful of 5 gallon batches, which have all turned out pretty great, and now want to utilize my equipment fully by trying a bigger batch. I have a 10 gallon kettle and two extra 5 gallon carboys, so I thought an 8 gallon batch might work well. My question is: How much water do you think I could safely boil in the 10 gallon pot if using Fermcap-S to tame the foam? I would hope to boil 8 gallons, then split and top off each carboy after adding the wort. What do you guys think? Does anyone else split an 8 gallon batch between two 5 gallon carboys? How much does fermcap help with hot break foam? Will this work or am I crazy :drunk: By the way, I'm doing extract + steeping grain brews.

Thanks!

You should be good in the 10gal pot with the additive to cut down foam. You a thermometer so you know when it's going to boil. 212f

Thanks,

I'd only really worry about the boilover happening directly after adding the DME, maybe a large hop addition. Hopefully the Fermcap would prevent it though.

I'd imagine the hardest part will be getting an equal amount of yeast in each unless you plan to pitch 2 yeast packs. I guess if you aerate in the kettle after the boil and pitch in the kettle and mix it up real good that'd make things a little easier.

I'd imagine the hardest part will be getting an equal amount of yeast in each unless you plan to pitch 2 yeast packs. I guess if you aerate in the kettle after the boil and pitch in the kettle and mix it up real good that'd make things a little easier.

True, when I split them, I either use two yeast packs or a starter split between the two.

I think I'd just pitch a pack in each carboy to be safe. If I were doing this with a low ABV session beer I might try to get by with one rehydrated dry pack split in 1/2.

Anyone used Fermcap to control boilovers? I want to boil as much volume as possible in my 10 gallon pot. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back