Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like they took it from the old theory that it was caused by mixing types of alcohol, like beer and vodka. I don't know if that is true, but mixing beer styles is hilarious!

Beer before liquor never been sicker, liquor before beer in the clear.

Because science.

My brother and I made a tasty pale ale for my nieces graduation party (college age of course) and had a 2.5 gallon keg as well as some bottles. My wife was sitting near the keg when 2 other grads came by to get some beer and one said to the other, "I love foreign beer but just can't afford it".
I guess homebrew is foreign.

Do people really have that much intestinal distress from homebrew? I've never had trouble with it.

I have had a little bit of trouble with it but it is because I drank a few bottles that weren't quite finished carbonating so there was a lot of yeast still in suspension. Yeast is a natural laxative. (Pharmacies sell "Active Brewers Yeast Supplement" tablets as a natural form of laxative.) I mentioned that to the guy but he is convinced it is from fermenting in a dirty bucket. Once I learned to wait until the beer is clear I haven't had issues since.

It's fun to be snarky, laugh at, and be a dick about other people's lack of beer knowledge, but this really is the best post of the thread for me. Not everybody is a beer snob or a homebrewer; get over yourself and appreciate them anyway.

edit - I realize this almost looks like I'm telling troy2000 to get over himself; not so, it's the general tone of the thread I'm addressing, troy2000's the good guy here.

How terrible is it to say something funny that you overheard about beer in a thread entitled "Funny things you've overheard about beer"... Unsurprisingly, I did thank them politely. Also unsurprisingly, I groaned internally reading it. It was my impression that this thread was a place for like-minded individuals to be able to have an inside laugh at the misinformation that exists in the world. My apologies if being polite but having a laugh behind the scenes makes me the "bad guy". If you find it morally objectionable to find people's incorrect statements funny, you should probably stop reading this thread, since that's kind of the point of it.

My apologies if that comes off as harsh, but I'm just saying, what is this thread for if not for having some fun about misinformation? I never said I wasn't polite to them to their face, and you implying that I am somehow the "bad guy" is frankly rather rude.

How terrible is it to say something funny that you overheard about beer in a thread entitled "Funny things you've overheard about beer"... Unsurprisingly, I did thank them politely. Also unsurprisingly, I groaned internally reading it. It was my impression that this thread was a place for like-minded individuals to be able to have an inside laugh at the misinformation that exists in the world. My apologies if being polite but having a laugh behind the scenes makes me the "bad guy". If you find it morally objectionable to find people's incorrect statements funny, you should probably stop reading this thread, since that's kind of the point of it.

My apologies if that comes off as harsh, but I'm just saying, what is this thread for if not for having some fun about misinformation? I never said I wasn't polite to them to their face, and you implying that I am somehow the "bad guy" is frankly rather rude.

In my opinion, this thread was over months ago. It's just open now for one person to post, and thirty people to derail and argue about it. I wish there were a way for it to stop popping up in my feed.

In my opinion, this thread was over months ago. It's just open now for one person to post, and thirty people to derail and argue about it. I wish there were a way for it to stop popping up in my feed.

Go to "Subscribed Threads" in the settings, check the box next to this thread, and at the bottom of the page, select "Delete Subscription."

Edit: Sorry for the de-rail, but I figured if I just PM'd it, someone else would just answer here, thinking it was unanswered. XD

Go to "Subscribed Threads" in the settings, check the box next to this thread, and at the bottom of the page, select "Delete Subscription."

Edit: Sorry for the de-rail, but I figured if I just PM'd it, someone else would just answer here, thinking it was unanswered. XD

Wrong. On the app, once you post there's no way to keep from it popping up. But thanks for trying.

Wrong. On the app, once you post there's no way to keep from it popping up. But thanks for trying.

Wrong. You can unsubscribe from the app as well.

In the "Subscribed" window, press your finger on the thread title and swipe to the left. There is a gold star indicating that you are subscribed to the tread. Click the star to unsubscribe.

That was a pretty amazing story.

You actually got your wife to go to hooter's :D

Back in my single days, I took a girlfriend to a topless bar - at her request; she wanted to see what they were like. Of course, when a guy brings his own woman into a place like that, it's a direct challenge to the gals working there.... we sat front and center at the stage, and every dancer there zeroed in on me.

So I'm sitting there with one of the tastiest looking dancers I've ever seen grinding away with her perfect little bottom right in my face, and fighting the urge to lean forward and take a bite, and my girlfriend says, "oh, I recognize her; she was in the ladies room when I went. She has a stomach bug, and was s______g and farting and stinking up the whole place."

Whoa... too much information. I leaned back instead of forward, and swore never again to bring a woman into a strip club. Reality is overrated...:(

add: we were drinking beer, so it counts in this thread. Although I'll be honest; it took me a little while to see the humor.

EL OH EL... You sound Canadian.

Sorry if that offends. Sorry if I'm being to apologetic.

I think this thread is fun... every few days I log on and get a little chuckle, and ignore all the up-tight people. Sometimes I'll derail, too... it's not a huge deal. This is a time-killer place, not the centre of efficiency.

EL OH EL... You sound Canadian.

Sorry if that offends. Sorry if I'm being to apologetic.

I think this thread is fun... every few days I log on and get a little chuckle, and ignore all the up-tight people. Sometimes I'll derail, too... it's not a huge deal. This is a time-killer place, not the centre of efficiency.

Not Canadian, just passive aggressive. :D Which I suppose is the same thing. *rimshot* I love this thread, it just annoys the crap out of me when pepole get super defensive, 'cause it doesn't belong here. XD

It's sort of the meta-narrative of the thread. People report stuff they think is funny (mostly snobby), but the real humor is that people are so snobby that they point out the flaw of being snobby.

I feel this is vaguely hipster... "Being snobby is too mainstream. I'm a snob about snobbishness." :D

Okay, okay, I'll hush now; someone get this darn thread back on track. :mug:

going to brew club meeting. hopefully there will be many homebrews

bringin' 3 of my own (2x PA + dry stout) + a growler of Sweetwater Tavern Midnight Rider Black IPA

not as tasty as it was last year

I live on a base in England. Off base new castle is £3 a pint. Roughly a fiver usd. On base where the beer was imported to the states, and then shipped back through military channels, it costs $2 a pint.

That gives me a chuckle.

You misread my post. I was responding to the spirit of the post I was quoting, that we should appreciate a friendly gesture even if the beer stinks. I know I was quoting a post that quoted your own post, but I wasn't responding to your story, which was a good contribution to the thread.

I live on a base in England. Off base new castle is £3 a pint. Roughly a fiver usd. On base where the beer was imported to the states, and then shipped back through military channels, it costs $2 a pint.

That gives me a chuckle.

That reminds me of hearing that Evil Twin costs more because it needs to be shipped from South Carolina to NYC for import evaluation crap and then sent back to be sold, as the "home brewery" is out of the states? Yet at the tap room it isn't taxed as such?

You misread my post. I was responding to the spirit of the post I was quoting, that we should appreciate a friendly gesture even if the beer stinks. I know I was quoting a post that quoted your own post, but I wasn't responding to your story, which was a good contribution to the thread.

Ah, my bad. Just the way you said he was the "good guy" seemed to imply I was the opposite. Too many beers, clearly. :tank: Cheers!

Gave a pale ale HB to the neighbor across the street who drinks strictly Coors Light, asked him what he thought of it after a week or so and got "thought it was pretty good, but way too bitter for me and couldn't finish it"

At least he was trying to be nice, but thank goodness I'm not that guy, would have to kick myself in the nuts if all I drank was coors light.

Shoot, am I one of those beer snobs now?

Gave a pale ale HB to the neighbor across the street who drinks strictly Coors Light, asked him what he thought of it after a week or so and got "thought it was pretty good, but way too bitter for me and couldn't finish it"

At least he was trying to be nice, but thank goodness I'm not that guy, would have to kick myself in the nuts if all I drank was coors light.

Yes. If he had compared it to Guinness or something, that's funny. If he just said it was too bitter because he prefers a watery light lager, then that's just plain snobbery without the funny.

But again, it's funny because you sound like you might be a little proud to be a snob! :)

My buddy from work told me that when he was a in Afghanistan he "homebrewed" by mixing bakers yeast and sugar in near beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That can't taste good. But then again, I can see the value in getting a buzz on in that dry armpit of a country.

He was a marine so I can imagine id want a beer too if I was getting shot at for a living.

I have one of those too he drinks an 18 pack every other day during the week and an 18 pack each day on the weekend or days he doesn't work (self-employed) He can only drink a sixer or so of mine then over sleeps the next day. So my beer is too strong he can drink an 18 pack and still go to work but 6 or so of mine and he crashes :p

My buddy from work told me that when he was a in Afghanistan he "homebrewed" by mixing bakers yeast and sugar in near beer.

Where the heck was he getting baker's yeast in Afghanistan?

Not really allowed to go to grocery stores and such there, most likely had it shipped and either didn't know much about homebrewing to begin with, didn't want to be too suspicious ( cause they do check your mail and packages), or wanted to make a sort of prison hooch in esprit de corps, oorah!

"If you've made something that doesn't offend anybody, you've made Budweiser"
-Augie Carton-

Latest posts

Back