High tech blow off protection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
I brewed a pretty big RIS the other day and realized i didn't have a blow off tube for my better bottle. All i had was a 3-piece airlock and i didn't want to paint the ceiling with beer so i came up with this complex solution.

IMAG0111.jpg

you can use silicon tubing on your 3 piece airlock as well - i wanna say 1/2" but it's been a while since i bought mine

I have 3/8 silicone on mine right now. It's a really tight fit so 1/2 might work too.

you could be right as well, like i said it had been a while

prob better to error on the side of too small - would have for the blow off tube to blow off

you could be right as well, like i said it had been a while

prob better to error on the side of too small - would have for the blow off tube to blow off

i thought about doing that but wasn't sure if those diameters were too small and would get clogged up

What keeps a fruit fly from buzzing up in there and drinking all your beer?

The airlock is still on there. I just put the bucket/war helmet on there in case the airlock got launched off. that way the airlock wouldn't hit my ceiling

I've had a couple of situations where the blow off tube was necessary and that method worked fine. I think that the key is preventing too much pressure from building up in there

Set that carboy in a plastic tub and you'll have a complete system. Looks like a good start though.

then put water in the bigger bucket to double as a three piece airlock with a frame to hold the top bucket down. you can even use the water in the bottom bucket as a swamp cooler.

I love how everyone's input on my goofy picture has turned a bucket into blowoff protection, a second airlock, and a swamp cooler. your creativity is awesome

How are you supposed to count the bubbles in your airlock to know when fermentation is complete?

maffewl said:
How are you supposed to count the bubbles in your airlock to know when fermentation is complete?

Put a small security camera inside and run the feed out to a monitor. :p

well obviously as soon as the bubbles on top of the beer go down it's ready to drink so i can just watch for that :D

Back