Beer and weight loss (long)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
As I slide into middle age I've discovered that on top of the hair loss, body metabolism ebbs. I can no longer shovel down multible burgers, mounds of sugary cereal and fistfuls of gooey deserts. Well I can but there is a disconcerting aftereffect. A protrusion of the stomach.

One very good non-diet diet book suggests nibbling on about an ounce of (70%+ cocoa) chocolate to keep the hands busy and mouth coated with flavor. It seemed to help prevent late night gorging while trying to catch up on the overflowing Tivo list!

I'm not sure which one it was but while perusing the homebrew books at Borders I stumbled accros the the wonders of beer and chocolate! Yuck! I thought but reading on, the explainations of the combo made sense. Even more than wine.

It's fantastic! A swallow of a good brew really cleanses the palate. (Sounds snobby) The carbonation and hop bite scrubs away the chocolaty coating and makes the next taste of chocolate seem like the first. Try it! Make sure its a very dark chocolate.

Until my bottles condition, my late night routine is a foamy glass of Fat Tire Amber and 3 squares of Trader Joes dark. Its something to look forward to and it keeps me away from the evils lurking in the fridge and cupboards. Whadaya know...brew has helped me loose 10 pounds:D

wow, cool for you man. I'm not a fan of dark chocolate, and I don't really eat desserts in the first place. Heck, dessert for me is a nice IPA.

My love of beer has put more weight on me than it has taken off of you :) I'm trying to minimize my consumption on the weeknights. going 4 days without a beer isn't easy :p

I don't diet...I love my food and drink too much. This is why I workout 5 days a week with some intense cardio and weights. Otherwise my hobby would have me at 300 pounds:D

Dan

My solution to the eating problem was to bike to work every day. 80 minutes of cardio work helps to keep the weight in check.
I love dark chocolate too, the darker the better. I've enjoyed mixing chocolate with dark beers before, maybe I should try some IPAs with my chocolate.

Craig

Young's Double Chocolate Stout and chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven.

wowzers!

:ban:

Willsellout said:
I don't diet...I love my food and drink too much. This is why I workout 5 days a week with some intense cardio and weights. Otherwise my hobby would have me at 300 pounds:D

Dan
Good for you. 5 days a week of cardio/weights is the best. I've always run but never considered muscle tone 'till I joined a gym and found out how much muscle strength I lost over the years. Its something like 10% every 10 years after you're 30.

I think if you get hammered on homebrew nightly you'll get your required
B vitamins too:drunk:

photogscott said:
Good for you. 5 days a week of cardio/weights is the best. I've always run but never considered muscle tone 'till I joined a gym and found out how much muscle strength I lost over the years. Its something like 10% every 10 years after you're 30.

I think if you get hammered on homebrew nightly you'll get your required
B vitamins too:drunk:

That's the key, I think. The only reason I'm not a big fat slob is that I force myself to exercise and not drink (or eat) too much. Last night we went for our fast paced walk and bumped into a friend. We stopped to chat for a minute and he asked us if we're keeping in shape by walking. My husband and I both responded at the same time, "No, we're earning a beer". Today, I'm hand digging a small pond so I don't have to go to the gym.

I used to be able to eat and drink whatever I wanted and it didn't seem to matter. After 40, I noticed that I have to work much harder to stay fit.

There are few things better than my latest Dopple Bock while enjoying a home made brownie. I know that sounds weird but the chocolate and the malt sweetness make for a great huge calorie delite.

I'm staying AWAY from chocolate 'cause my pants don't fit and I'm NOT giving up beer. Now that it's not friggin' FREEZIN' anymore, getting out and doing stuff around the house, shop, cars, yard, pool, etc. is helping with the pants. But I'm drinking more beer.... :(

Back