Clearing a Cloudy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sephro

Reaction score
Back in July I made a beer that was sort of a mistake. I was rushing to my LHBS and worked up a quick promash report and gave it to the guy to buy the grains. I accidentally clicked on Munich 2-row instead of American... Well I made the beer just the same and it's been sitting in a carboy since.

The other night I took a hydrometer reading and a taste.. It's really really good! But it's very cloudy.
Is there a way without a filter that I could get this a little bit clearer?
Can I add something like Bentonite to it?

Thanks!

Sorry for the hijack, I'm just wondering how Bentonites differ, philosophically, from the Mormons and the Marmites.

Sorry I have nothing useful to add, but here's a free bump for ya! :mug:

is there any way you can cold condition it for a few days? like get the temp down to mid 30s?

Agree with Chimone.
Put that sucker in the fridge for 2 days and it'll clear right up. If thats not a possibility I think you can add gelatin of some sort, but I have no experience with this.

Craig5_12 said:
Agree with Chimone.
Put that sucker in the fridge for 2 days and it'll clear right up. If thats not a possibility I think you can add gelatin of some sort, but I have no experience with this.

You're thinking, I believe, of pectic enzyme. I too have heard of this and I too have no experience with it.

Sephro said:
Back in July I made a beer that was sort of a mistake. I was rushing to my LHBS and worked up a quick promash report and gave it to the guy to buy the grains. I accidentally clicked on Munich 2-row instead of American... Well I made the beer just the same and it's been sitting in a carboy since.

The other night I took a hydrometer reading and a taste.. It's really really good! But it's very cloudy.
Is there a way without a filter that I could get this a little bit clearer?
Can I add something like Bentonite to it?

Thanks!

Bentonite and beer = bad
http://www.northernbrewer.com/wine-ingredients.html
Bentonite. Bentonite is a clay-based clarifier that absorbs colloidal substances. Usually added prior to fermentation, sometimes during secondary to wine. Not recommended for beer, as it may harm head retention.

If you have chill haze try irish moss. If your talking about some other haze try one of the other finning you can find in the link http://www.northernbrewer.com/beer-additives.html

**EDIT**
found this while searching for why bentonite was bad for beer (knew I saw it somewhere but couldnt remember where) . . . should help ya out :)

http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/clarifiers.htm
Question: :My beer always seems to be cloudy. What can I do about it?

Answer: Unless you're brewing a Hefeweizen or Stout, nothing impresses your brew buddies like pouring them a sparkling clear beer. It also impresses beer judges more than the one point allocated on the judging form would otherwise indicate. Avoiding cloudiness takes a bit of work, but it's worth it.
Cloudiness can be the result of several different causes. So the first thing you need to do is figure out what the source is. Once you have that pinned down, different approaches are available. Some can be fixed with improvements in brewing technique. I'll discuss some of the causes and technique-based fixes first. Then I'll cover some of the fining agents that are commercially available.
The most obvious cause of cloudiness is unsettled yeast. If that bottle of beer starts out clear and get gets cloudy as you pour, you've probably got yeast. If you're serving from a keg, yeast typically blasts out with the first few glasses. However, it tends to be more persistent if you've had to move your keg just before the party.
There are two methods of reducing yeast cloudiness. The easiest is to reduce the amount in you beer containers. Give it enough time in secondary fermentation to settle out. If you're kegging, go with forced carbonation, since priming sugar causes yeast cells to multiply. The second approach is to repitch the beer with a highly flocculent yeast. Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast would be a good choice.
If your beer is clear at room temperature but then gets cloudy in the fridge, you've got chill haze. Chill haze is formed from proteins and polyphenols. These are soluble in beer at room temperature and hence are clear. But at low temperatures, they combine to form fine insoluble particles.
The first attack against chill haze is to use a protein rest when you mash. See the Brewmaster article in the November 2000 Gazette for more details. If you're making an extract batch, try throwing in a half-pound of pale malt with your crystal steepings. Another thing to try is to lager the beer and then rack. Given enough time, the haze will settle out. The beer has to remain cold the entire time, though. Even a brief warming can cause the haze to redissolve, leaving you back where you started.
A third form of cloudiness is caused by starches. Starches most often result from poor mashing or sparging technique. Watch your mash temperature, and avoid disturbing the grain bed during sparging. If your brew setup has a false bottom, you might try switching to an EZ-Masher.
If you find that technique improvements alone don't get your beer as brilliant as you would like, then try some fining agents. I'll cover some that are available at the shop. For a more comprehensive information on beer clarification, check out the link at:
http://www.brewersresource.com/claifiers-finings-article_main.htm.
One of the most popular and simple-to-use fining agents is Irish moss. Irish moss is a type of seaweed. It works by combining with the polyphenols and protein in the wort. This makes it especially effective on chill haze. Irish moss is used in the boil. To use Irish moss, measure out about ½ a teaspoon per five-gallon batch and mix it into a cup of water. Let it soak for about half an hour. Then throw it into the boil about 20 minutes before the end of the boil. The moss and associated proteins will drop out with the hops and the cold break
Other types of fining agents are used in secondary fermentation or during bottling. Among these are Polyclar, Bentonite and Sparkolloid. Sparkolloid is particularly effective on yeast, whereas Bentonite and Polyclar are better for chill haze. Polyclar is actually claimed to be able to remove phenolic off-flavors from beer.
Of these three agents, Polyclar is the easiest to use. Add two tablespoons to a cup of sterile water and stir into a slurry. Then dump it into your secondary fermenter. For best results, keep the material gently agitated for an hour or so. Give it a few days to settle and then rack into bottles or kegs.
Bentonite and Sparkolloid are a bit more difficult to use, since they have be brought up to a boil with plenty of stirring before you use them. Then you need to stir them into the secondary just like Polyclar. See the above web link for complete details.
Any of these three finings can be used directly in bottles or kegs. However, you'll still have to avoid stirring it up later.
One final warning: Don't put in too much fining agents. You could end up pulling out too much protein. That will leave you with a thin-tasting beer and a weak head.

weird... in the article it says Bentonite will work... but then other places say not to use it in beer :confused:

There are finings that work well with beer; gelatin, Isinglass are two others. Bentonite is rather tricky to use in beer from what I've been told. Very easy to mess up the batch. I just use gelatin, if I don't feel like filtering. It's cheap and you can buy it at the super.

Sephro said:
weird... in the article it says Bentonite will work... but then other places say not to use it in beer :confused:

yeah I saw that too. I guess if your not very careful the bentonite will strip out too many protiens from your beer leaving you with zero head retention. So it will work but it's a PITA to use and since there are so many other things out there that work well why risk it.

Polyclar!!!

I know some people dislike this wonder chemical due to it's synthetic nature, but it's by far the most effective clearing agent I've found. It's basically a polymer that will coagulate the haze causing proteins, and settle to the bottom of your carboy. I've used it at ale and lager temps.

It usually takes 4-6 days to completely clear the beer. I have made mistake batches that polyclar would not clear, but my mistakes were huge (forgot the whirfloc), and you can't blame a chemical, unless it's ethanol:drunk: .

Matt

You don't clear a cloudy beer.
You server it in a solid color cup and drink it!

I think it is recommended that you rehydrate before adding it to the boil. I have never done this, I was going to on the batch I made couple nights ago but forgot.

I don't think it makes that big of a difference. I have used it in all my brews straight and they have been very clear.

Your beer is not cloudy because you used munich by the way. Darker, yes, but not couldy because that.

Isinglass, sparkoloid, chitosan will help. I've used betonite but didn;t find it all that great. Just make sure you avoid the sediment in the 2ndary if you use bentonite or sparkoloid, when transfering to bottling bucket or keg.

I know it's not the munich that caused it...
I think I'm going to try putting it in the fridge for a few days and if that doesn't work maybe try the gelatin then give up and enjoy a nice cloudy beer :)

Back