We can all quit brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Michelobe now makes a Bavarian Wheat and a Marzen. I'm on the Hefe now. It tastes like michelobe with hefe yeast.

Cheesefood said:
Michelobe now makes a Bavarian Wheat and a Marzen. I'm on the Hefe now. It tastes like michelobe with hefe yeast.

/blowing hefe through the nose all over screen & keyboard.

No f'ing way!

They've already tried to put Shiner out of business by renameing Michalobe Amber to Ziegen Bock here in Texas. (what a f'ing joke).

I can't wait to try it.....NOT!

The Marzen is great. I liked the porter also. Not so much on the wheat, but i have yet to like any other wheat beers besides American.

I think all of the main breweries are finally realizing that not everyone enjoys their swill, and that there are so many micro/craft breweries out there that more people are going to be interested. It's too late for them to bring serious homebrewers and beer lovers like ourselves back into their fold, but they have a plan.

They are trying to catch the guys who think they are starting to discover good beer, the guy that has drank BMC his entire life and one day sees an advertisement for a Hefe, or something unique. He goes to the store, and because of their prominent advertising(mountainous cardboard pyramid of michelob hefe cases) the first hefe he sees is by Michelob. Guy says "I've always like me some Michelob, so this must be some good hefe" He buys it, shares it with his buds, and they never try anything else. If BMC develops a few varieties of beer, they can probably stop most emerging beer conniseurs from trying anything but their product.

They are already doing it, with things like Bud World Select, etc... Maybe some of these are actually good beers, but it seems to me it is more like an attempt to run the micros/craft out of business.

EdWort said:
They've already tried to put Shiner out of business by renameing Michalobe Amber to Ziegen Bock here in Texas. (what a f'ing joke).

Are you serious?? They have some nerve. Stick to the mindless masses BMC! The craft brew market is dominated by people that oppose the way they do things. That is like putting tiny wheels on a Navigator or a Suburban and trying to sell it in Tokyo.

McKBrew said:
If BMC develops a few varieties of beer, they can probably stop most emerging beer conniseurs from trying anything but their product.

They are already doing it, with things like Bud World Select, etc... Maybe some of these are actually good beers, but it seems to me it is more like an attempt to run the micros/craft out of business.

I think you are right and make a good (but profoundly scary) point.

I couldn't finish the Bavarian Wheat. Honestly, how does an American beer in a brown bottle get skunked? It's not like it had to travel overseas on a boat, it was brewed a few hundred miles from my home. It's a 4 hour drive from St . Louis to Schaumburg, and they couldn't have some skunk prevention measures in place?

Total F'n BS. It tasted godaweful. I'm all in favor of BMC producing stylized beer that's delicious and low-cost, but at least take advantage of having the smartest minds in brewing working for you and produce something tasty.

Actually, in many states BMC has the means to kill micros: it's called distribution. You dominate the distributors and prevent them from carrying other products. Of course, this is exactly what three tier laws are trying to prevent and equally of course, it makes the task easier for BMC. I'm really amazed that micros manage so well around here, as they are restricted to ONE outlet other than their pub without going through a distributor.

One of the biggies, I think it was Andhowsyourbush, bought Goose Island. Yup. They bought the brewpubs! Disgusting!!!

But, on the plus side, it's been 6 months and there are no changes to report. There is still no BMC available. You cannot order a bottle of beer. They have about 15 beers on draft, all microbrews, and if you don't like that, you can order something off the whiskey/whisky/scotch list. If you're still not satisfied, then they will grudgingly mix you a drink.

I like that place.

I was just at Goose Island too! They do produce some good beers. I had two samplers while I was there. I was able to get one 5 glass sampler of all Stouts!! How cool is that!?!

I'm currently trying to inform people on one of my truck forums on why the "beersnobs" think that BMC is the devil. They just don't get it. They think they deserve all the same respect because their beer is good. There's no hope I guess. ;)

david_42 said:
Actually, in many states BMC has the means to kill micros: it's called distribution. You dominate the distributors and prevent them from carrying other products. Of course, this is exactly what three tier laws are trying to prevent and equally of course, it makes the task easier for BMC. I'm really amazed that micros manage so well around here, as they are restricted to ONE outlet other than their pub without going through a distributor.

They also have the means to control what's in the cooler at most of your larger distribution points, and who gets on which shelf in the non-cooler section. Why do you think crap like Sparks is in the cooler while Newcastle is sold warm? It has less to do with demand and more to do with the big breweries dictating who goes where. They can afford to pay HUGE kickbacks (called "slotting fees") to grocers to keep their product cold and at eye level.

EdWort said:
/blowing hefe through the nose all over screen & keyboard.

No f'ing way!

I can't wait to try it.....NOT!
I will take a ziegen bock over a piss water (Shiner) any day of the week.

Cheesefood said:
I couldn't finish the Bavarian Wheat. Honestly, how does an American beer in a brown bottle get skunked? It's not like it had to travel overseas on a boat, it was brewed a few hundred miles from my home. It's a 4 hour drive from St . Louis to Schaumburg, and they couldn't have some skunk prevention measures in place?

What??!?!? Maybe they are trying to mimic the flawed flavor prevalent in imports resulting from improper handling? That is just friggin wierd man.

Ashamed to say I once bought the world select, thinking it might be good.

Tasted exactly like budweiser.

Back