Harvesting Yeast in Regular Jars rather than Mason Jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I have a bunch of 10 oz. jars that used to have fruit preserves. These are not mason jars: the caps are one piece rather than the two-piece caps used in mason jars.

Can I still use these jars to store yeast? I think it should be ok, so long as I sterilize them and all.

Any ideas?

that's what i figured. i thought there was something more to the sanitizing nature or airlock elements of the 2 part tops as opposed to the single tops.

I use any normal size jam jar or any conserve jar that as a screw top and have had no problems for at least 5 generations of yeast over the last year.

I use the white plastic screw tops on my mason jars for washed yeast. I've only washed yeast one time (so far!) and they seem to hold up just fine. If you're really paranoid about air tightness, you could always wrap around the seam with electrical tape.

Of course, so long as you sanitize everything you'll be fine. FWIW I actually kept a yeast cake from a hefe batch in a 2L flask for three months and it still fermented fine. Just had sanitized plastic wrap and foil covering it and it was in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back