Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
I am about to do my first batch in about a week. I think I may have a major problem with keeping my carboy at the right temps through fermentation. I live in an old house with window air condition units (I am in college). The temp in my house during the summer can change from very hot to cool just depending on the day. Its never consistent. What is a good way to keep the carboy at one temp (70-65)? I have seen people use water baths but this just seems like I am going to have to baby it through fermentation. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.:mug:

What part of the country are you in? Is it warm right now?

I live in an old building, too, with steam radiators and window unit air conditioners. In the winter we have no control over the heat, and it's often too hot in here.

What I've done to try to regulate temps is just keep an eye on the thermometer. If it starts inching up, I open a window in the room where the fermenter (or carboy) is. (It's actually in a closet in that room, which seems to stay at a more consistent temperature as the rest of our condo fluctuates - being a smaller, closed off space).

Anyways, the main thing is to try to actively adjust for changing temps. Use your windows and/or air conditioning and keep an eye on the thermometer.

Hope this helps!

I bought a bran new round plastic trash can. I put my carboy in and add water up to the neck of the carboy. It works great, but during primary when the yeast are really kicking it generates allot of heat, so I freeze water in ziplock baggies and add them. Once the fermentation slows its usually pretty easy to keep at 68F. You can pretty much say if its 75F in your house then your water bath will be 75 also unless you use ice in some way. Not ideal, but it works you just have to keep a close eye on it. With the big round trash can the amount of water that it holds helps with the temp. The more water you have in the trash can at 68F the longer it takes to heat up. So if you check it twice a day your usually pretty safe, but your main concern would be during primary when the yeast are really feeding on the sugars. It might be tough to brew a lager this way...Thats my two cents
Good Luck

Latest posts

Back