Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pitch yeast for my first attempt at this recipe. Sitting on this one until St Pattys. Hit 1.063 OG. Grain bill was the same except my house malt is Golden Promise and I used Fuggles @ 60 min and Challenger @ 30 min. Also pitch Omega Scottish Ale Yeast from a previous Scottish Wee Heavy. Its nice to step away from the DIPA DDH Hazy Train.

Just finished brewing this batch ! Everything went great. Color was amazing. Will be my first batch in my new Spike Flex !

LHBS didn't have crystal so i subbed willamette.

Man do I love brewing outside in the winter in New England.....

Kegged mine Friday and cold crashed until today. A couple hours ago I pressure transferred it to a serving keg and gave it a quick burst carb. Tastes good now, but looking forward to it in a couple weeks, although I actually won't be drinking much of this one. I'll be pouring this one at an upcoming beer fest.

20200209-172259.jpg

Raging Ryeish Red Ale Update

Ok guys im back for anyone interested. Today I racked into secondary because I was anxious to see if my 1g sangria bottle let too much oxygen during primary. (I had to puncture a hole into its lid to put the sterile gas CO2 vent. 3 days later I wrapped the lid with parafilm). Needless to say, everything tasted fine but i dont think anymore fermentation is necessary.

FG is at 1.006... A little drier than the style guidelines. Guess between the honey and my house temp and maybe the nutrients - the yeast went a little crazy.

Dont know if I should add brown sugar in boiling water, let cool and add to secondary and then cold crash or just ride it out

Right now im planning on bringing the kegerator into the house tomorrow - plug in Friday - start cold crashing and keg Monday.

Note: Couldnt really taste the rye, maybe cause the beer was warm and not carbonated. Also beer was slightly warm alcohol wise, hoping that goes away too but not sure. All said and done, im happy I got beer the first time brewing all on my own with all the mistakes I made haha
20200212_192618.jpeg
20200212_192702_HDR.jpeg
20200212_192647_HDR.jpeg

Congrats! While this beer is great right out of the gate, 2 weeks in the keg changes its character a lot.
Eric
I agree with the above. I didnt much care for it out the gate but now that it's been on gas for two weeks it's pretty damn good. Next time I brew will have to make a few changes, mailing with hops and an adjustment to the grain bill.

Kegged mine Friday and cold crashed until today. A couple hours ago I pressure transferred it to a serving keg and gave it a quick burst carb. Tastes good now, but looking forward to it in a couple weeks, although I actually won't be drinking much of this one. I'll be pouring this one at an upcoming beer fest.

20200209-172259.jpg
Bad news, our homebrew club decided not to get a booth at the beerfest later this month where I had planned on pouring this. Good news, this keg is now mine.
I agree with @burntchef this beer really rounds out after about 2+ weeks. Third time brewing this in a little over a year. It's a really good recipe.

Here is my third attempt in 2.5yrs. Last two batches were promising even though the LHBS doesn’t carry Cararoma I had to sub Crystal 120. If my notes are correct this beer will turn red after a month I’m the keg. I also used a Scottish ale yeast.

IMG_9134.JPG

Brewed a batch this weekend. Anyone know what it means if it turns out to have a strange plastic/adhesive tase? I do.......

10 min till flame out, as I’ve done dozens of times, I placed a large spoon across the kettle and a two pound jar of honey between the spoon and the side of the kettle to begin warming in the steam. I promptly bumped the spoon which sent both spoon and honey straight to the bottom!! Ever try to fish a bottle out of 11.5 gallons of boiling wort?! Ten panicked minutes later I found the winning combination of mash paddle and grill spatula and out she came. Devoid of all labels now and swollen like a dog tick full of napalm. It may typically take two weeks to hit its prime, but I’m wondering how long it takes to loose the elmers glue aroma?

Here is my third attempt in 2.5yrs. Last two batches were promising even though the LHBS doesn’t carry Cararoma I had to sub Crystal 120.
View attachment 666444
Looks good.
The second time I brewed this my LHBS only had 8oz of caraaroma and my recipe called for 1.5lbs. He suggested subbing in a pound of Special B Malt and it was still fantastic.

Bought the ingredients today. Plan to brew it tomorrow. Hope to have it ready for St. Patrick’s Day. Or at least Reds Opening Day!

Trying this today, a bit of a last minute project before we go away for 3 weeks.
My local shop didn't have most of the exact ingredients, so this is what I used:

7.5 Lbs German Pale 2-row
1 Lbs Crystal 120
0.5 Lbs CaraPils
0.5 Lbs Melanoidin
1 Lb Organic honey from Costco at flameout
Replaced Crystal with Halertau Blanc
Replaced Cascade with Centennial
Same US-05 Yeast

Mashed for 90 minutes at 152, got 6.75 gallons at 1.043 before boil.
Boiled with Hallertau for 60 minutes, added the Centennial at 30 minutes.
Added just slightly over 1lb honey at flame out.
6 gallons remaining in boiler.
SG is 1.053, will confirm in the morning once it's cooled.
Will be trying to cool in the boiler just left on the stove overnight with lid on tightly, will xfer to the fermenter in the morning.

This looks so good, and malty is my favourite characteristic in beer, so I might have to scale it to a gallon or so and make it my first brew.

Trying this today, a bit of a last minute project before we go away for 3 weeks.
My local shop didn't have most of the exact ingredients, so this is what I used:

7.5 Lbs German Pale 2-row
1 Lbs Crystal 120
0.5 Lbs CaraPils
0.5 Lbs Melanoidin
1 Lb Organic honey from Costco at flameout
Replaced Crystal with Halertau Blanc
Replaced Cascade with Centennial
Same US-05 Yeast

Mashed for 90 minutes at 152, got 6.75 gallons at 1.043 before boil.
Boiled with Hallertau for 60 minutes, added the Centennial at 30 minutes.
Added just slightly over 1lb honey at flame out.
6 gallons remaining in boiler.
SG is 1.053, will confirm in the morning once it's cooled.
Will be trying to cool in the boiler just left on the stove overnight with lid on tightly, will xfer to the fermenter in the morning.

Wort was still at over 90 F this morning, transferred into fermentation pail but had to go to work before it was cool enough, will add yeast tonight.

Brewed a batch this weekend. Anyone know what it means if it turns out to have a strange plastic/adhesive tase? I do.......

10 min till flame out, as I’ve done dozens of times, I placed a large spoon across the kettle and a two pound jar of honey between the spoon and the side of the kettle to begin warming in the steam. I promptly bumped the spoon which sent both spoon and honey straight to the bottom!! Ever try to fish a bottle out of 11.5 gallons of boiling wort?! Ten panicked minutes later I found the winning combination of mash paddle and grill spatula and out she came. Devoid of all labels now and swollen like a dog tick full of napalm. It may typically take two weeks to hit its prime, but I’m wondering how long it takes to loose the elmers glue aroma?

https://www.bjcp.org/faults.php

This lists common faults and off flavors and common causes.

I brewed with a plastic spoon for a couple years, I don’t ever recall any off flavor I could attribute to it. I have the Anvil brew spoon now, SS and heavy duty. I suppose boiling a plastic jar for 10 min could be a contributor, but thats actually a pretty small jar and 11.5 gallons is alot of wort ?

I once bought a small plastic aquarium pump on ebay that I tried to use to recirculate my mash. Even though I washed it and ran hot water through it prior to use, that was still my worst case of plastic taste I ever got in a beer. I had to dump that one and I never used that little pump again.

If you are lucky, it may fade with some time.

Brewed this again yesterday and substituted 8 oz of cascade. If it turns out well I will post the hop schedule, everything else remained the same.
Eric

Yes, 8 oz. It will be an irish apa if it turns out the way I hope it will.
Eric
messing about with ingredients is what I do for a living

https://www.bjcp.org/faults.php

This lists common faults and off flavors and common causes.

I brewed with a plastic spoon for a couple years, I don’t ever recall any off flavor I could attribute to it. I have the Anvil brew spoon now, SS and heavy duty. I suppose boiling a plastic jar for 10 min could be a contributor, but thats actually a pretty small jar and 11.5 gallons is alot of wort ?

I once bought a small plastic aquarium pump on ebay that I tried to use to recirculate my mash. Even though I washed it and ran hot water through it prior to use, that was still my worst case of plastic taste I ever got in a beer. I had to dump that one and I never used that little pump again.

If you are lucky, it may fade with some time.

Lol, I was actually be a bit of a smart a$$ at the time (or at least I hoped I was at the time). Everything actually turned out fine with no underlying paper and glue undertones. In fact, i might have to find out how to add “fish plastic bottle out of boiling wort” as a flame out step in BeerSmith. It added some excitement for sure, and I didn’t receive more than second degree burns, so worth it I think.

Coming along nicely after a month in the keg. I’d like to try this with US05 next time I brew it.

View attachment 670404
Mine has been in the keg about a month as well. I brew it with US-05, tastes great. Here's a pic of it from last week. I got better efficiency than normal with this one and it finished at just under 9%

20200225-155609.jpg

Raging Ryerish Red Ale update:

Finally got my kegerator working and the beer carbonated. Kinda kicked up some sediment i think, hoping it clears in time and i can post a clearer picture.

Super happy with the beer. Super drinkable. In love and its a tad over sessionable at 5.78%
20200310_161303.jpeg

Raging Ryerish Red Ale update:

Finally got my kegerator working and the beer carbonated. Kinda kicked up some sediment i think, hoping it clears in time and i can post a clearer picture.

Super happy with the beer. Super drinkable. In love and its a tad over sessionable at 5.78%View attachment 670460

So did the rye ever come through? Can’t remember if you said you ever tried the original recipe. If so, how does yours compare?

Ryeish Red Ale Update

No, the rye flavor did not come through too much. I heard that a 10% rye usually just adds and helps with the malt backbone. I know some people that have 10% in most of their recipes for every style.

I didnt make the original either - just riffed off from there with 10% rye. I can only imagine how good it must be cause this is awesome.

Im in love and think its awesome and terrible (with all this quarantine talk) to be home with this as my first kegged beer. Keeping the temp near 48-50ish and C02 at 15psi seems to be pretty good for the style. Just about two weeks on C02 seems to be doing the beer some good.

Definitely making this again, with maybe a 15-20% rye for that the extra umph in the fall. Would probably keep it with the 10% for spring time St. Patrick festivities.

Here are some pics I took today. Happy St. Patrick Day you guys!
So did the rye ever come through? Can’t remember if you said you ever tried the original recipe. If so, how does yours compare?
FullSizeR.jpeg
IMG_3189.jpeg

Looks great.

Happy paddy's day to ye all. Pity this corona cr@p kind of ruined the day. My parents still live in Ireland but are isolotating themselves. Only Netflix and walks in the countryside for the foreseeable future.

Why does BJCP 2015 set the SRM color bar so low for this style? They have it at 9-14 SRM.

BA 2019 (Brewers Association) lists it at a far more reasonable 11-18 SRM.

Last edited:
Good question, because that does seem very low. Then again, the 3.8-5%ABV seems low as well to me. I’m thinking I’d look at ya strange if you handed me a beer that was 3.8% @ 9 SRM and called it an Irish red.....

Well I kegged my riff on this today. I was not to impressed from the taste I got from the hydrometer tube. Will have to wait and see what some age does to it, fingers crossed. It finished at 6.56%
Eric

Back