IPA Night!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
So to prep my (taste) buds for my newly brewed IPA I decided to go pick up a 6 pack of IPA at the liquor store. I ended up getting a 6 pack each of Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Stone IPA, and Two Hearted Ale. So far I've had a Torpedo and a Two Hearted... I like the two hearted better out of the two... I think it is cause the flavor hops are more prominent than the bitter hops, which I think I prefer. Can't wait to try the stone.

Anyways this made me think, what are some of yalls favorite types of IPA's and why?

Okay my vote is in, I say, and in this order:
1. Stone IPA
2. Two Hearted Ale
3. Sierra Nevada Torpedo

May have to look into this Cascadian IPA, thanks for the info laskey.

Right on. The top 2 on my list are 2 hearted and Stone. Avery (dry hopped in the tap room) is pretty high up there as well.

Right on. The top 2 on my list are 2 hearted and Stone. Avery (dry hopped in the tap room) is pretty high up there as well.

Yea just popped another two hearted and now im backpedaling. Definately a toss up between it and stone.

My favorites? Well my regular IPA buys:

Pliny the Elder
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Lagunitas IPA
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
Bear Valley Racer 5 IPA
Dogfish Head 60/90 Min IPA
Ballast Point Sculpin when I can find it

Torpedo is passable I guess but I can't understand why people like it so much. Stone's is solid, the thing with me and Stone is they were the first craft brewer I really got into, and so all of their beer is kind of "old news" to me.

I am actually going to brew a clone of Two Hearted. I've never had the real beer, but we'll see how my clone turns out. Ha!

Pliny the Elder
Lagunitas IPA
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
Bear Valley Racer 5 IPA

Torpedo is passable I guess but I can't understand why people like it so much. Stone's is solid, the thing with me and Stone is they were the first craft brewer I really got into, and so all of their beer is kind of "old news" to me.

I am actually going to brew a clone of Two Hearted. I've never had the real beer, but we'll see how my clone turns out. Ha!

You west coast guys with all your big hoppy beers and attractive women! I've never had a Pliny. :(

1. Nugget Nectar
2. Stone IPA (although I dont think its worth the money all the time)
3. Two Hearted
4. Racer 5
5. GL Commodore Perry (close to home favorite)

Two hearted, hopslam, racer 5 are my tops. I also really like Southern Tier Unearthly IPA, ruination ipa, squall ipa.

I've really been diggin' the Ballast Point Sculpin lately.

Drinkin' a Pliny right now, but Blind Pig is every bit as good.

Stone goes without sayin'.

Pliny the Elder
Lagunitas IPA
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
Bear Valley Racer 5 IPA
Ballast Point Sculpin when I can find it

this list is solid...throw in Blind Pig and Wipeout from Port and that tops my list. greenflash continues to put out geat beers.They are 1.5 miles from my haus.. I'm bummed out they are moving to Sorrento Valley. I also have Stone 15 mins from me, Ballast point 30 mins and a Pizza Port within 10 mins. Theres good stuff in a whales vagina

My top three are:
Stone
Pliny
Racer 5

I wont turn down a green flash, that rotates in the top 3 rotation as well, just on a Stone kick lately, great beer, great atmosphere, and great food there too, if you ever get out to southern Cali, you must go, I cant get enough of those fried mashed potato balls!

It's unfair to compare Torpedo with the Bells and Stone. Torpedo is an imperial. If I were to rank those three however...

1 - Torpedo
2 - Stone
3 - Bells

My particular favorites:

Victory Hop Devil
Troegs Nugget Nectar
Dogfish Head 60/90
Stone IPA
Otter Creek IPA

It's unfair to compare Torpedo with the Bells and Stone. Torpedo is an imperial. If I were to rank those three however...

1 - Torpedo
2 - Stone
3 - Bells

Is it? Holy crapdog as writing this I read it is 7.2% by volume... I just grabbed this one out of the fridge cause I thought it to be the "lightest". Oops.

patrck17 said:
Is it? Holy crapdog as writing this I read it is 7.2% by volume... I grabbed this one out of the fridge cause I thought it to be the "lightest". Oops.

lol...well, I believe Sierra Nevada calls it an "extra ipa." Careful with that stuff, a six pack will put you under!

i only have one favorite IPA, and it also happens to be my favorite brew right now too - a Western Washington Brewery's masterpiece.

Boundary Bay IPA, Bellingham, WA

totally balanced from the floral nose, to the bitter first taste, to the malty middle, to the smooth finish. i am drinking some out of my kegerator as i type this. this is some dang fine brew!

As tough as it is to narrow it down to 3, currently mine would be..

Troegs Nugget Nectar
Long Trail DIPA
New England Brewing Co. Gandhi Bot DIPA

I've really been diggin' the Ballast Point Sculpin lately.

Drinkin' a Pliny right now, but Blind Pig is every bit as good.

Stone goes without sayin'.

Just had a Sculpin for the first time last week, it was damn good. I could have sat there and drank a few more, but had to cut it off at one pint.

Pliny (when I can get it fresh)
Little Sumpin'
Green Flash IIPA

Thing is, I am constantly finding new stuff to make a run for the top. Came across Little Sumpin' a few weeks ago at my local store and it was love at first taste :mug:

Edit: Just went to the Lagunitas website and I see that Little Sumpin' is a wheat beer ??? WTF? It has more hop flavor than many beers labeled IPA ever will!

Ruination
Two Hearted
Big Sky Brewing's Big Sky IPA

It's a hard list to make though. I'm a hop head and all of my favorites have something different about them that I appreciate...

-Deschutes Inversion IPA
-Phillips Hop Circle IPA
-Tree Brewing's Hophead Double IPA
-Phillips Amnesiac Double IPA

Honorable mention to Deschutes' Hop in the Dark CDA which I can't find anymore.. :/

There are so many IPA's that I have yet to try, mainly because I can't find them in my area (pliny, hopslam etc..). But I would have to say right now its DFH 60 & 90 min, Stone and Victory hopdevil

I'll second Southern Tier's Unearthly. mmmmmm.
Victory Hopdevil also.
And doesn't Rogue have an IPA? Yeah, that's my 3rd.

Kyle

Standard Issue IPAs:

Victory Hop Devil
Cigar City Jai Alai
Heavy Seas Loose Cannon

Turbo IPAs:

Hop Stoopid
Torpedo
Southern Tier's Unearthly

Off Topic:

Victory Yakima Glory - truly amazing beer.

Back